Tuesday, December 27, 2022

a Post Christmas visit

 So today wasn't Saturday but it is a Bank Holiday in England so I headed for Kew, as I wasn't able to go last Saturday (they were closed)

When I arrived to take my normal opening shot, my camera wouldn't work...

I took one on my phone and messaged about with the camera..




It seems that the auto focus element on the standard zoom I use most, has stopped working, but when I switched to manual it would take photos...

I was quite relieved to say the least 

my normal view on manual a bit further along the bed!




the sun had come out which I wasn't expecting

down the Broad Walk.   not very much to look at 

the euphorbia were looking almost sparkly, though it's relatively mild and there's been no frost for a few days

the grasses were  glowing in the sun
I headed round to the Princess of Wales conservatory - these are the outside cacti from a few weeks ago, the flowers are fading (no doubt suffered in the cold weather )

inside,  now








as soon as I got into the tropical section the lens went mad misting up...

on the upper level I noticed these water drops but again, had trouble with misting 


into the orchid rooms






then outside again 

love this big tree at the end of the rock garden

walked through the alpine house
little iris


nerine

















euphoribia in the rock garden 

some early snowdrops (under the acer in the rock garden, so sheltered( 
vegetable garden,  globe artichoke 
the mushrooms are starting to ... sprout... 



most of the veg beds have been cleared for winter ready for planting again in spring


few rose hips left
remnants of the hydrangea

evolution garden... again, mostly cut back for winter
but some plants have been left for winter structure.


eryngium




the echinops definitely didn't like the snow and ice!












into the palm house - more steaming up! 
there's been some pruning in here too,

able to see the rusty patterns on the metal pillars
















on my way to the lake I paused by the mirror installation



some good reflections in the misted up glass

the lake is quite silted up at this end

I could hear the geese and swans from yards away!


I headed for the Treetop Walkway

the lift is still not finished so it was time to climb the steps

using the excuse of pictures part way up for a pause...



Santa overlooking the gardens (part of the Lights event)















blogger is being a pain with the orders again 

then to the Temperate House






I climbed some more stairs to the viewing platform







you can see these better from the stairs on the way down again

and sitting on the steps to get a close up through the railings
from a bit lower down the stairs...

angel trumpets





the ledges round the octagon have had cacti and succulents placed on them 












it was luck I chanced to turn round or I'd have missed this












on my way back to the exit I called into the gallery to see the Pip and Pop display which is still on until March



and finally at the exit on my way out!



thanks for looking, i will be going again Saturday !  

2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I know that sick feeling I get when my camera doesn't work, so I am glad you got yours to work on manual. The opening shots are all fabulous.

The orchids are incredible. Such beauties, and all so different. The prickly pear cactus grows and lives through MY winters, so they should live through yours. Although I can see the blossoms are definitely suffering.

I always love the flowers in the Alpine House. Tiny and delicate. And snowdrops, which I have only seen in photos. Winter gives its own dead, but beautiful flowers, grasses, and stems.

Wow, the reflections in the glass display are amazing with the misting.

I'm always amazed when you climb the ladder to the Treetop Walkway. Such breathtaking shots, too.

The Pip and Pop display is amazing. Beautiful.

I am saddened that I was unable to wish you a merry Christmas because I was offline. I will wish you a joyous, safe, healthy, and prosperous 2023 in advance of the new year.


Virginia said...

Oh a post Christmas visit to Kew sounds like a great idea, we were due to go to Chatsworth on Tuesday but were exhausted from Christmas and Boxing day so we missed it, although we've been up to YSP today. You look like you had decent weather given that it is the end of December, the garden is looking very wintry now.

I love the gallery display - so positive with all its pastels.

Hope you have enjoyed the festive season

Hugs