Saturday, March 19, 2022

Kew in glorious sunshine

 Today's trip to Kew saw blazing sunshine, if windy and not particularly warm.  Heaven though.  The magnolias were truly amazing and more of the cherries are starting to flower

as you can see, the sky was beautifully blue, and it was definitely a sunglasses day

I (belatedly) noticed the urns along the pond are full of daffodils, they must have been there for some weeks! This is just for Elizabeth as she likes to see the urns planted!
the waterlily house is still closed for winter, although as I mentioned last week they are starting to replant it up ready for "spring" re-opening

It was looking quite pretty today in the sun though
I went a different way round today,  starting by walking past the end of the Palm House
because from the path in front of the Palm House I'd seen the Yoshino cherries blooming - I know we saw them briefly last week....but a blue sky.....
it was hard to stop.....


















and I'd had my hair done on Thursday so it was selfie time....



the red zings in the bright sunlight!


the Palm House makes a good backdrop

then walking behind the hedging to the huge tree behind the path

then it was to Cherry Walk in the path up to the Temperate House - the cherries in the grass here aren't very far along, but you can how the tulips are growing
and the pretty blue flowers intermingled with them
some early tulips are developing well
then into the Temperate House 


and a stop to see the silver daisy busy,  

I have to take them from all angles, sun behind, sun in front,  close up...






and then up to the viewing platform 

new fronds in the middle of the Tree Ferns unfurling - from halfway up the stairs

glistening in the sun shining through the glass











in the South Octagon one of the Aoeniums caught my eye

but I couldn't walk round the benches in the window because the way was blocked off.....
the next plant along had a camera set up











and a big sign

in a big tub in the middle of the Octagon


in the Cherry Walk the other side of the Temperate House - one Yoshino cherry was in full flower



and as I got down the steps, lots of people gathering to admire it



I took a short walk along towards the Japanese garden,  most of the prunus there haven't come out yet but there was some blossom







at the head of the lake






I walked part way round the lake but then
headed towards the rhododendron dell - although these are of course camellias!



this bumblebee was having his fill 

at the foot of the sloped bed where the rhododendrons were growing,  some spectacular hellebores



then took the path back towards the magnolia glade

I'd been chatting to my friend Linda at the gate as we waited for opening and both decided we thought it would still be very muddy -   in fact it wasn't as bad as last week, despite more wet weather during the week.


I approached from a different direction this week, from behind the magnolias as it were, rather than the path 
lots of fallen petals on the grass
pink
and paler pink


against the gorgeous sky
closeups

opened flowers - these were tricky, the wind was strong!





now of course blogger chooses to reverse the order of the next group!














 too many to re-load but it doesn't make much difference really!








I had to do another selfie too




ok, time to stop with the magnolias now.....



took the short walk across the grass towards the Palm House shining behind some big pine trees or fir trees....

a beautiful forsythia with the Palm House as backdrop


from the top of the steps before going into the Palm House

Light bouncing off the leaves









exited the Palm House by the big middle door  
paused to take some daffodils in the planting in front of the PH





before heading to the loo and then to the cafe for food  
an outside eating day to enjoy the sunshine 



sausage roll and hot chocolate again!

it was a bit windy I had to hold on to things!  


then it was time to continue... I don't sit for more than 5-10 minutes max!


the weeping cherry (not sure that's it's official title!)  by the side of the pond was in flower - don't think I came this side of the pond last week and it was wet, so didn't notice but it must have been out then too

but it's a favourite spring view of mine,  and the blue sky helps!





and had to do another selfie (probably won't be any more for months now)








Now it's time to get carried away with the sunlight on the fountain shots....



even from behind the pond today the sun bounced on the water
as I was a bit further away you can see why I call it weeping cherry!


I'd taken the long zoom today as the sun was forecast so it was play time
it was lovely today from a slightly different angle with the green in the background















I find it hard to drag myself away on days like today



then into the Princess of Wales conservatory where for the first time in ages (pre-covid)  you could walk down the steps to the left of the pond for an almost underground view
back at the front of the pond, the jade vine is starting to flower



in the cool orchid room


I noticed these on the top of the one remaining arch 



coiling fern
orchids in tub near exit
illuminated by the light






then to the alpine house

where the displays have changed again 

i love that there is something different all the time



for the first time this year too, the blinds were down to protect the plants from the sun
from the grass garden



over the wall in the Duke's garden I could see another huge magnolia...
as I walked across the grass towards it I stopped to admire this
(it's called staphylea holocarpa in case you're interested!)




what a beautiful pink!



 

then a quick walk through the Evolution garden


couple more magnolias, in case there've not been enough yet 




nice to see the roses starting to grow up the pergola through the middle of the EG

the black walnut is in leaf again


white magnolia with the daffodil slope by the temple of aoelus



great swathes of blue bulbs

love the patterns of the leaves in the sculpture


bed at the top of the Broad Walk looking even better than last week
not fond of hyacinths (the perfume at least)  but love the yellow/purple colour mix
euphorbia glowing in the sun

 












my final stop was for the "glory of the snow"  that are coming out over to the left of the Broad Walk



such pretty little alpine flowers




Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed the sunshine!




2 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh my goodness how utterly stunning were the blossoms at Kew today. You look like you had a beautiful blue skies day, enjoy your Sunday xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought I saw the urns had been planted last week, but the colors were so pale, I thought it might have been the background of the trees. So glad you shared this, Helen.

I love the way they "decorated" the outside of tjhe Waterlily House. I am blown away that the palm trees actually live and thrive there. Your climate must be much warmer than mine.

Those cherry blossoms are incredible I can see why you lingered so long.

I LOVE your hair cut. Bangs a bit too short for ME, but the style is fabulous, This is a super selfie and a great backdrop, too.

Beautiful ferns, fronds, and palms. That filming sign is good to see they are taking their responsibility seriously.


Beautiful rhododendrons and hellebores, too. The magnolias are even lovelier this week and are .mostly in full bloom. Your selfies are wonderful.

What a treat you must have felt to get such different photos in the POW's House. Are those lilies in the Alpine House (white with yellow "stamen?"

I bought hyacinths and they don't smell. I know people either hate or love the scent, but mine simply have no scent to them.

Loved the sunshine on a cloudy day here.