Saturday, March 5, 2022

Kew - final trip to the orchids

Welcome back.  This weekend is the last weekend of the orchid festival, it has flown by as my friend Lesley said earlier.  Dull and much colder than I anticipated, but still got some great photos.  Hope you enjoy them.

there's a stiff breeze blowing as i walked round towards the orchids
but the bulbs in the bedding display are growing well
I paused just to take a photo across the pond of the fountain  before going and getting in line for my orchid time slot

the stewards organising the queue recognise me now!
loving the sloth
realised I hadn't really looked closely at the bats

then through the doors (lens misting up!)  into the tropical main section  the yellow archway first
peeking through the plants towards the Rising Sun display
still looking impressive




the bit tubs in the water nearby
the column just behind the Rising Sun

dammit  Blogger is upsetting the order.


close up on one of the turtles



the arch on the upper level, from the bottom of the steps you can't use as present
the snake,  he's another of my favourites


phone version 

cocoa pods 

indoor rhododendron 
Monkey time -  I am really going to miss these guys!  I was surprised yet again, that several people didn't seem to be pausing to look at them!









caused a traffic jam to take some close ups

at the end as I went round the corner I grabbed another view of the monkeys




other things (no idea what this is)  are growing so there'll be plenty to see once the orchids go








orchids on the arch 



I'm not sure I'd noticed these before (there's been lots of people in the way, there were today, I had to take this over their heads)





in the last week of the event they have tweaked the one way walk through (it worked better, too)
this isn't an orchid obviously but I've always struggled to get decent photos of it as the yellow seems to upset my camera's focus!

the setting sun 



the joys of long lenses,  the turtle seems so close from the upper path
the arch on the upper path has been just green until recently but these are coming out now

















the upper level arch from the phone 






the Rising Sun from "upstairs"


the white arch (my favourite from week one,  not so sure now, still lovely though)


following the one way system round upstairs,
catching other leaves and ferns etc

then down a different set of stairs 
these are such a pretty colour with the mottling too

you then double through the room with the hummingbirds
I tried so hard to get this in focus for the orchid and the water drop!  this is the best of the bunch


the revised one way system means this week the masks are one of the last things you see


a final glimpse of the monkeys before I had to leave

2022's Orchid Festival has been as good as ever - thank you, Kew! 






outside, the bed at the entrance (although for the Orchids its exit only)  is now full of daffodils in bloom 






















I headed for the alpine house next



but as I walked past the outside of the Princess of Wales conservatory, I noticed in the gloomy outside sky, the monkeys are visible through the glass!  Fab... bye bye monkeys!

the doors were closed today as the wind was strong, and chilly


plenty to admire though inside










walking through the rock garden,  
the  prostrate  euphorbia now further in flower

variety called myrsinites

through the arch in the wall to the evolution garden

this climber is actually on the wall behind the currently empty vegetable beds
on the other side of the path way,  the Evolution garden itself


large patches of daffodils

and some little hyacinth orientalis


as I turned onto the main path through the rose pergola,  I saw these on the surface of a bed -  they're from an iris
at the end of the Evolution Garden the path splits round toward the Palm House or they way I went, through the woodland garden

so I didn't get to see this white tree/shrub closer to see what it is.


the slope now smothered in daffodils by the temple of  Aeolus

a mahonia flowering in the woodland walk
alongside the path the other side of the temple,  more daffodils
no sun today so I didn't put the longer lens on, 
so just a couple of the spray blowing in the wind



one on the phone
I decided to stop for refreshments early, lots of other people had the same idea but I found a table inside out of the chill

I didn't stop for long though,  and headed outside again

I started along Camellia Walk  past a bit white magnolia that is flowering


and then headed from the camellias 
across the grass though drifts of daffodils  placing my feet carefully!

towards the Temperate House I found these, 

can never remember what they are









inside the Temperate House 


















a big red azalea

















some orchids in a big tub
then it was the Silver Daisy Bush time





just love it

 Up to the viewing platform next

from halfway up the stairs

I like to walk left one week adn right (this ) the next 
so you get different views of things below



leaning over the edge
back at ground level






Spring blossom everywhere now in the gardens
the wind was playing havoc with trying to capture them though


Ribes  (flowering currant)




then "inland"  towards the lake,  the ground was squishy and muddy from rain in the week

but lots of daffodils everywhere 

(which blogger is reversing!) 
the acer winter gold by the top of the lake
there were several groups of geese, some in the water some on the paths, making a right racket!

it was a very dull day as I've said, but this was gorgeous
I headed towards the magnolias - so much more in flower than last week

the ground was very muddy too here - it always gets like that in rain -  so I had to be very careful

I may have got carried away


they look a little different against grey skies though

























on my way to the exit now

drifts of crocus off to the side of the Broad Walk in front of the Hive


another magnolia by the path  near the Orangery restaurant 

and the spring bedding in the beds by the exit 
I managed to get home on the right train (a mix up on my way here had meant a late running train came in at Clapham Junction and I hadn't heard the announcement... luckily it was going in the right direction so I was actually earlier than I would have been on the right train!) 

Thanks for looking.

next week may be a Sunday trip as I am hoping to go to a craft show  on Saturday at Alexandra Palace with my friend Lin whom I've not seen for about 3 years what with Covid and all.  

3 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh what a fabulous day but wasn't it cold we walked around the garden at Wentworth Woodhouse and couldn't believe how cold it was. The displays are stunning so much Happy colour. I love the magnolia trees and the daffodils and glad you enjoyed the last week of the display.

Hope you have a lovely week xxx

Diana Taylor said...

Wow, the orchids are stunning - it was well worth causing a traffic jam to get those beautiful close-ups. It does seem to be over all too soon though, they look like they are in peak condition and could go on for a few more weeks. It's lovely to see the spring bulbs on their way to full glory and the Magnolia trees are looking fabulous - we have a Magnolia walk at our local arboretum but they don't seem to last that long and it's difficult catching them at their best. Thanks for the lovely meander through the gardens.
Diana xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I missed last week, Helen. Two sick cats and a very cold house got inthe way of computer time.

The bulbs in the beddings will surely be in full bloom next week or whenever you go again.

Those didn't look much like the bats we get here in the states, but they were fun to see up close.

It's good the orchids are lasting so long, especially the Rising Sun display. I think I like the photo of the snake from your phone the best. It doesn't look quite so fierce. Photos 33 and 87 are my favorites of the monkeys. I still keep being amazed at how many different types of orchids there are.

I'm not sure I've seen so many daffodils in one area before. Love the beautiful fern fronds. Beautiful magnolia blossoms, too. Thanks for sharing these beauties with us, Helen.