Saturday, September 5, 2020

Kew - a feel of autumn

 Autumn is my favourite time of year,  the crisp chilly mornings and the early light is stunning. So I had a great few hours at Kew today, I have hundreds of photos and I'd love to include most of them but that would probably be a bit excessive... sit back and enjoy!

the sky as you can see was so blue. although it started cold, it did warm up during the morning
I headed round the pond  the other way to normal 

some great reflections
the gunnera in the foreground silhouetting in the light
this is what I mean about the magic of the light in autumn at Kew.  Love the still low sunshine casting shadows
maple turning red, against the sky

the sun shone through plants 
headed straight for the Evolution Garden











water droplets (dew, not rain)  on the euphoriba.

love it 






and on the daisies



beautiful geranium covered in water drops


everywhere I looked the colours and sights were calling.








roses around the pergola 










I can't resist a shadow slefie for Julia 



once again Blogger is adding photos in the order it wants...
salvia border in the rock garden


sedum (evolution garden)

couldn't see the label on this













the rock garden 
big funghi

alpine house from the other side of the grass garden
Japanese anemone

love the light shining through the petals










phone version 
Princess of Wales glasshouse across the grasses





I did lots of crouching down to get the light angles how I wanted

you know I always think the shading in the alpine house is like sails on a yacht.
the huge tree next to the alpine house

the hive - there was someone in there on what looked like a photo shoot so stayed at the doorway
edge of the structure 

I cut along the Broad Walk now 




phone view


crouching down makes them look like giants





a few late agapanthas not quite gone over
red hot poker











then I came to the large sweep of alstrameria lilies.  oh my goodness


I got carried away with the water drops here 








eventually I dragged myself along to the echinacea

agapanthas going to seed

still love them





bench




love the veining on the underside 


the weeping willow at the side of the pond by the Palm House 
rope shadows




















loving the clouds behind the Palm House
still lots of colour in the rose garden 







I walked through the rose garden

and then headed along the path towards the lake


more stunning light shining through trees 




tree smothered in horse chestnuts
more pretty skies!
by the lake



so many gorgeous reflections 

I crossed the bridge and walked alongside the lake 




then up Cedar Vista towards the Pagoda

the hydrangeas are still looking quite good (and the lace cap ones above)



Japanese anemone in the sun by the Japanese garden
beautiful berries
the pagoda from the steps of the tempterate house 
which had just opened it's doors (which means it's 10 am) 

we were directed to the right and round a side path today


probably because of the overhanging plants in the central section

big leaves 

wish I could walk down this way! 



I forgot to look for the funghi again at the earlier part of the path and you can't double back at present







outside again, the ivy at the top of the steps along the path from the temperate house starting to flower (or finishing? I think it must be the latter from memory)
huge pine tree covered in cones 




I headed to the cafe for refreshments.
there were not seats free at the tables outside, so went to sit on a bench at the pond



and heard a young girl and her dad commenting on the Queen's Beasts that stand along the path in front of the Palm House - all with their masks on

as my friend Lesley says, his nose isn't covered!

I went for hot chocolate today and rhubarb crumble muffin

there isn't as much choice of cake at the moment as it all has to be individualy wrapped

the cake was nice, the drink not - usually it's gorgeous, but it was free so I didn't complain  
another of the Beasts - this is the one Lesley commented on 

it did tickle me though.   

wonder if they were wearing them lst week, I didn't look closely enough if so.

I didn't bother waiting in line for the Palm house but went to the waterlilies instead 






beautiful leaf with light shining through by the door (I think it's a lotus leaf) 

exiting, on route to the Princess of Wales glasshouse

quite  a lot of people here now (numbers are still limited)  so I was beginning to think of home 
flowers atop a cactus
it has a very long stem! 
no sign of the water dragons again today
but of course the grevillea is still flowering
quick visit into the alpine house


I think these are Nerine




there are lots, at both ends !






I headed across the lawn to the Orangery to see the whale again 

before crossing to the end of the Broad Walk  for some final shots



I adore the rudbeckia 



I decided not to rush for the train (I had about 20 minutes so could have made it - there were half hourly today) but took a last look at the end of the Broad Walk


still beautiful, even with the sun higher in the sky



couldn't rsist the asters either 

before sitting on the bench at the exit for a few minutes packing away my camera


I'm not going next week as there is a Run Richmond event on and can't get a time slot till 11 am by when it will be too busy so I'll miss a week!






4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's amazing how deep the shadows are in your opening photo compared to what it has looked like in the past.

The daisies were gorgeous, and I see what you mean by low autumn light and shadows.

OMGosh. I LOVE the photo of the Rock Garden. It's from a different angle, and I love it. And of course, the Alpine House is one of my favorite houses, mostly for the architecture.

The alstrameria lilies, which I'd never heard of before, are beautiful. It was nice to see the Pagoda House, too. It's been awhile. And the waterlilies are lovely, too. It won't be long until they will go somewhere for winter hibernation and the ponds drained, right?

I know you'll miss going next week, but with so many people showing up, I think you are better off waiting a week. Thanks for sharing all these beauties with us.

Lillianb said...

Lovely pictures and so much lovely stunning colours ,I would be like you and take lots of pictures,
Best stay away next week with so many going best be safe,

Lilian B #4

Karen said...

I love the metal face sculpture the best I think, but it's hard to say with so many beautiful shots. Neat to see the shadows that you captured too ~ Enjoy

Words and Pictures said...

Golly, too many treats to list all my favourites, so just a few highlights... the daisies, the roses (especially those frilly white/blushing ones - I'm eyeing roses for the garden I'll be rebuilding in CZ so they catch my eye at the moment), the ivy berry stem and pine branch with cones, and of course the glorious umbelliferous wildflowers in the Broad Walk.

I completely agree about the light at this time of year, and that clarity in the air... there are no skies quite as blue as September blue skies (at least in the UK). Lovely to spend a bit of time wandering through Kew with you (how poetic).
Alison x