Saturday, February 1, 2020

Kew with a guest

This morning I was joined on my trip to Kew by my cousin.  We had a great time, but I didn't take as many photos as usual.... still plenty to share though!

we started with blue skies  and light cloud but it was still quite chilly (well I was!)

the geese were still trimming the grass,


the primulas have really opened out since last week


I took this one later on as we returned but am including it here.




 we went part way down the Broad Walk first before turning off to the Princess of Wales glasshouse to see how the orchid display is coming on...



 some more "animals" have appeared
and I still like the orangutans




 in the cool orchid room

 the sun shone through the roof illuminating the display beautifully




it looks just about finished in this room,  and is stunning.






 we went up the steps from the cool orchid room
 you have to look, up , down, sideways, so as not to miss anything
 huge leaf with water droplets
 the display downstairs, from upstairs lol 

 had to point out the"eyes" to Angela




 as always, there are arches and pillars, covered in colour


the sun was shining through them


 this is the top of one of the pillars.

 on one of the arches

 another pillar

 top of an arch (I'll take some wider angle shots next week so you can see the overall effect better)








 centrepiece in the pond, still being worked on

 arch
 we managed to catch it without any people!
rather than change lens I took some on my phone ( you may have seen this on FB)



 as we came back downstairs to the start of the main area, by the doorway in from the catcus bit,  we were stunned by these blue orchids - what a colour!

it looks painted  (guess the Fresco paint shade....)

(edit - since found out from someone at Kew on their FB page that they are dyed) 
swapped to phone

 we couldn't walk right in front of the centrepiece as it was barriered off for them to work on



 that big bird in the doorway just next to the blue orchids.
 out in the desert section

 we headed outside


you'll recognise the face sculpture
 the grass in front of the temple, on the hill, is starting to be covered in bulbs - snowdrops out a the bottom, daffodils emerging further up
 Angela wanted to see the snowdrops in the rock garden
 before we went into the alpine house



scillia






 we headed back for refreshments
we both had hot chocolate and my favourite, the chocolate ombre cake,
 then it was over the the big hellebore bed

 and witch hazels round the corner (my cousin was amazed how much further on they are here than Coombe Wood that she visits - here lots of them are nearly finished)



 there are so many shades and patterns of colours

 in the Temperate House now



perlagonium
 Babaco  (none the wiser)  not seen it before, must have been brought in this week



 heading to the lake,  drifts of snowdrops and purple crocus... spring is on the way!



 it was hard to get close enough without treading on them, there were everywhere


 the sun went in just before we reached the lake, typically!






finished with looking in rhododendron dell.


lots of pink blooms, now the frost of the other week seems to have gone.



So, not many today (although I've included many of the ones I did take)   Thanks for looking (and your company, Angela,

I have managed to book some timeslots for the orchids for the next two Saturdays so will be back again!



6 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous photos but where's Harry? He's always in your photos, I miss him! Pleased you found out about the Orchids, it's a bit of a cheat but they do look nice. My hubby bought me a blue Orchid thinking it would stay that colour but it didn't, it's white. You just don't get blue Orchids. He actually bought me an artificial one too believing it to be real.......he means well and we've still got it, it looks very healthy and flowers all the time! Have a great week, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Ah, Primulas. So that's what those orange and yellow flowers are. The geese sure like them.

I swear that huge leaf with water droplets reminded me of Chihuly. In fact, I thought it was till I read your description.

The orchids are beautiful and the arches have SO much color. Really lovely, except for the blue ones that were dyed. Seems sad to me.

I didn't realize the snowdrops were so tall. I thought they were maybe 4 inches tall at the most, but I see they are taller. LOved that photo of them you took at ground level.

Great photos this week and so glad to read you will be actually attending the Orchid show after all.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I just did an internet search. How much can you see in 30 minutes? I can see why you want more than one time slot!!!

Virginia said...

Oh another fabulous jaunt out, loving the colours of the flowers, you hot chocolate and cake sound lovely and I too love the snowdrops in the rock garden.

I hope you've had a fabulous week

Hugs

Words and Pictures said...

This post is a floral extravaganza! How intricate and varied they all are - nature really is extraordinary, isn't it? Looks like one of those perfect cold and sunny days - maybe my favourite weather of all. And how nice to share this place you love with your cousin.
Alison x

pearshapedcrafting said...

The orchids are beautiful, but for me it's drifts of crocus and snowdrops that signify the coming to an end of Winter! They remind me of my Mum too! We're off to Sizergh tomorrow- haven't been up North since we sold the caravan. Hugs, Chrisx