Saturday, February 8, 2020

Kew - 2020 Orchid Display (and more!)

So today saw the opening of the 2020 Orchid Display at Kew.  timed ticket slots necessary. I had one for 10.30 (the first one) as I do for next week too.

 I wasn't about t miss my first shot though...


 a new plaque has been placed at the edge of the bed. very handy
 I went to join the queue for the timed entry - we were allowed in early, which was a plus, and you could stay as long as you wanted.

(no extra cost, it's included in entry, but timed entry controls the numbers)

this was the scene by the entrance
 and I walked through the desert section



you could go one of two ways, either to the left and through to top level, or the way I went, to where the centrepiece is
 I kept my wider angle lens on for a while (not the ultra wide though)  so I could get lots of general views, before going for close ups!


the parrot (I think) by the door
 a sign by the blue orchids.
my cousin and I found out that they're dyed - and already seem to be fading it seemed to me!


wonder if they'll be renewing them during the month's display!

 the main centrepiece in the pond

I forgot to look to see if there was a plaque about what it represents - will check next time!


 lens misting up a bit still, sorry.



pillar at the back of the pond




 walked up the steps to the top level first



looking down at the centrepiece

 the arches each year always look fantastic,
 as you can see I was lucky to get there with relatively few people still
 top of the arch
 

 at this point I couldn't resist macro time!

 especially with water drops!


 another arch




more people coming through now!


 



lining the steps down to the lower level


 cuscus in a tree (related to the possum)



 this arch has been fully decorated since we were there last week - covered in a mixture of orchids, air plants and carnivorous plants






they were beautifully lit (ideal for the evening viewings)








I've got confused as to whereabouts I am now!!

ah yes, just before we go into the cool orchid room!

 once again, empty! 

(not for long)








 they've kept their colour better this week in the photo....



 as I went through the next zone,
 I noticed another animal  that I hadn't seen - mind you I hadn't been through the area it was in yet!






 I went back down to have a closer look...
 I think judging by the tusks it might be a wharthog


 had a closer look at the pillars just outside the cool orchid room - the sun was coming out, outside and making them look gorgeous


 two tubs with the titan arum had been moved from their usual slot
 growing well again

leaves before the flower
 top of a pillar
large bowl in a pond
 went for a closer look at the arch
tiger hiding in the undergrowth




 I went under this arch back to the main room for another wander around
















 second time round I saw flowers I hadn't noticed before




















 on the way out, above our heads, 
 I love this rhino!

 he's got flowers in his nose,ha ha




love the texture (it's the crafter in me!)


 had to go back for another final look!



 eventually after nearly an hour, I tore myself away,  past the grevillia

 in between the doors at the exit,




a few more orchids!



 into the alpine house now







 bullrushes outside
 a small euphorbia
 white forsythia against the wall
 water drops...'nuff said!

 crocus carpet














spring is coming





I headed into the cafe for hot chocolate and cake(s)
they had some new ones, so I had to have 2


passionfruit and coconut (on the left)  spicy banana on the right ( vegan, gluten free....not as nice as the other one)


hot chocolate was fab though


 off outside again, a strip of blue sky under cloud





 in the Temperate House now




















 the roof in the sun took on a strange (beautiful) colour

 I climbed the stairs to the Treetop Walkway
 Storm Ciara hasn't hit yet so it wasn't particularly windy
 great views
beautiful sky




 back on the ground looking up

 at the lake, wibbly wobbly tree reflections



 new signs of life everywhere
 sunlight through bamboo at the top of the lake


 look at those reflections!

it was beautiful now, not at all cold
 
 I headed along a beautiful Cedar Vista...
 in the other direction
 for the first time in ages I remembered to play with the globe lens

loved this tree
 skeleton leaves on the hydrangea

 crocus everywhere now
 beautiful little purple rhododendron, against a gorgeous sky


 snowdrops  (some of them are tiny Elizzabeth, but there are a few taller varieties too)






 sunlight through leaves outside the gallery
 back at the Palm House



 the sun on the water was amazing as always


 love how it bounces on the surface of the pond
 

I love how this one from my phone seems black and white
down the Broad Walk - didn't have time first thing as had to go to the orchids straight off



 at this last minute camera battery failed, but luckily I have a spare!


 chaenomeles in the sun





a speedy walk across Kew Bridge back to the station.



thanks for looking!


5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Opening shot is great, but I was really delighted to see the sign showing the flowers in the beds of the Palm House Parterre. I even learned the definition of parterre, too.

I swear, I think I would spend most of my time in the desert area of the Palm House. Aside from the Indonesian decorations, the cacti and succulents really make me giddy. Thanks for sharing these.

I think I read somewhere (possibly your blog post last week) where the genuine blue orchid was so rare, it had only been seen by a few people.

Is the centerpiece in photos 12 and 17 supposed to be a volcano?

I guess I'm a bit confused. The orchids in the cool orchid room look similar to the others in all the zones.

Ah, it finally looks like a tiger, unlike last week. And that rhino is adorable.

You didn't bother saving me a cake? See how you are (grin)!

Lovely views from the Treetop Walkway.

Ah, tiny snowdrops to go with the bigger ones you showed last week.

Good for you for carrying an extra battery. My Nikon uses AA, but I had a designated battery in a different camera and it only came with one battery. Didn't have/use the camera long enough to even worry about getting a replacement.

Thanks for the enjoyable trip to Kew this week. I think I said last year I was surprised how many different types of orchids there are. To showcase a new country each year shows how diverse the orchid truly is. To me, they mostly all look similar. I can just see you shaking your head in disbelief at this statement!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Thanks for explaining my questions (on my blog today). I had always heard that orchids needed heat to thrive. I'm glad some of them can survive in a cooler climate.

Diana Taylor said...

I just had to come back to visit Kew with a cup of tea and enough time to sit and really enjoy the visit. The orchids are absolutely gorgeous and there are so many 'designs' I haven't see before - they are all stunning. Funnily enough the only ones I wasn't so keen on were the blue ones that you said were dyed - I thought they looked too blue to be true! I don't really see the point in trying to improve perfection!
Thanks so much for sharing your lovely photos,
Diana xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous visit! The orchids, of course, are wonderful! Really lovely to see all this colour with the weather we've been having lately! Hugs, Chrisx

Words and Pictures said...

Amazing photos as always - thank you for sharing your trip. I have to confess I prefer my flowers on the wilder/more natural end ... The close-ups of the orchid flowers are sensational - what incredible variety and glorious intricate patterning and colours - but I'm not sure about the displays - a bit too sculptural for me. Impressive, but they don't really make my heart soar. I felt much more at home once we got outside to the budding and blossoming trees and the simpler spring flowers.
Alison x