Saturday, January 4, 2020

Happy New Year - Kew, 2020 style!

So it's Saturday and 2020, of course it's time to go to Kew again. 

As I set off for the bus, the sun hadn't long risen and there were some fabulous reflections in the glass building on the way



 the primulas are starting to flower a bit more now

(read the signs wrong,no blue flowers - just yellow white and orange)

the geese were enjoying them!
 hint of blue sky - sun was forecast!
 thrilled the fountain is still on


the dogwoods were looking good again

 I headed into the Princess of Wales glasshouse next to look for water dragons but didn't see any, I decided I'd go back later
 so a quick walk through the different zones, keeping  my eyes open



I noticed some berries and pink flowers above my head


 round the other side of the water, a little girl and her dad were looking at the fish

 can never resist the grevillea


before heading outside - it wasn't this dark, it's dramatic effect of sun through clouds!



 I headed to the Duke's garden and in the bed outside was this yellow beauty, but someone was in the way so I couldn't see the label


 packed with blossom
the other side of the wall, a winter honeysuckle was just coming out

and so was some witch hazel
 into the Alpine House - the scillia are starting to colour up now,
but I failed to see what this one is


 aloe (I think) in the rock garden
I love the spiky edges
 the snowdrop display continues

 walking throuigh the evolution garden, more spiky grasses

 mostly just seedheads

 as you can see!
 but lots of magnolia buds on the many magnolia shrubs all around
 and some hellebores are out

 walked back round the pond again,
virbunum
a bee on the mahonia but it flew away as I tried to get closer







 I went into the cafe for cake and hot chocolate - I imagine by next week they'll be back to their plain cups!


(raspberry snowball cake - a victoria sponge cake with white chocolate on the outside - I've had it several times, it's yummy)
 I headed to the Temperate House past the bed where there are lots of hellebores,  only a few out so far
 and of course stopped to check on the witch hazel which are the other side of the hellebore bed



 they aren't highly scented yet,  maybe that comes later - you usually notice it from a distance



 I walked up the path and into the Temperate House


 where there were some fabulous orchids on show





I went up to the platform round the central section - great sky outside


 as I walked round I saw a tall plant with fabulous white flowers on the top
 this was another favourite from last year
 you can see it really well as you come down the steps. 

I had taken my longest zoom today (haven't recently) so I could get in closer

 those white flowers from the ground

 I walked round the side where the silver daisy bush is
 different daisy type


 a King Protea starting to flower




 outside,the blue was trying to win!
 I walked through the fairground area on my way to the lake, pausing to snap the carousel




 the treetop walkway,  will go up next week when Christmas at Kew has been cleared and you'll be able to walk all the way round again
 wide wide angle for the lake

 quite a crowd for feeding time!

but I headed the other way from the lake



had to take these clouds!  great stripy effect


 looking back at the lake
 the leaves underfoot were very wet but pretty
 and the sky was turning blue properly at last
 I was surprised as I approached the Rhododendron Dell to see some early flowers already


 I walked right to the edge of the gardens, to where it meets the Thames towpath (although you can't get in or out of Kew here)





 I followed the path
 the sun was fantastic through the clouds
 like cotton wool
 and casting shadows on the grass
 I reached the children's playground
 and peered over the hedge
more fabulous dogwoods



syringia,  variety called heavenly blue... it was

especially glowing in the sun 

 more fabulous skies



 grasses on the Broad Walk



  I walked down the Broad Walk (I was off to look for dragons again, lol)




 there were seed heads on the right hand side, with hundreds of midges flying above them.

I love that they leave them , they are as gorgeous in this state as they are blue!


 I was attracted to this clump of pampas grass glowing in the sun
 which also had hundreds of midges above
 but OH how stunning...













and one from the phone
 the Hive, through a tree


 back into the POW glasshouse




 thrilled to find a water dragon sitting in the middle of the little stream



 as always it gathered quite a crowd


and I love how bright green it's belly looks in the water

 it was nearly time to head home (trains running half hourly today, engineering works, )

looked at the name of this today it's a European Larch
 across to one of the restaurant areas
 sun through a huge tree
 fruits on a tree - Japanese Bitter Orange
 I'd noticed someone peering down at a bed under a tree before I went a different way,but had to go and check it out..

pretty little orange funghi

 in amongst the leaf litter and soil

 I walked slowly across Kew Bridge, the sun shimmering on the low tide
 and the heron was looking for fish

(the other side of the river, a man was sitting fishing.  all of a sudden the heron flew across and stood a few yards up river from him)




 it was approaching 2.30, the sun low now
 back at home, the clouds were pretty and the sun was going to set nicely...




but I couldn't hang around for it, and there are too many buildings in the way!

view from my kitchen a bit later, as you can see, I don't get a good view of sunset at this time of year!


thanks for looking - the start of another year of trips to beautiful Kew! 

6 comments:

Sally H said...

Wow! Stunning photo's Helen! I love witch hazel, mahonia, hellebores and snowdrops - some of my favourite. Thanks for a lovely guided tour of Kew this early in the year. I hope you have many more in the sunshine. I'd love to know how many steps you do on your visits

jinxxxygirl said...

Beautiful H... you can take me around Kew anytime! Hugs! deb

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Got a good laugh when I saw the goose sitting on the flowers. That was FUNNY!!

Wow, amazing reflection the girl and her father in the POW house. I know they aren't YOUR thing, but I LOVE the cactus photo you shared.

The aloe in the Alpine House is SO different from mine. It's beautiful and spiky, where mine has no spikes.

I was interested in the background at the cafe. First time I've seen it.

Seeing all those orchids reminds me. Will they have the orchid show again this year? And when did Kew get a carousel? Yes, I love it. Those horses are so different and colorful, too.

Those sky shots were the star this week, Helen. From moody to bright to stripey to puffy, to mesmerizing, they were all quite beautiful.

Lillianb said...

Stunning pictures Of Kew makes me want to go, Hope to get there one day

Lilian b #5

Diana Taylor said...

Soooo many things I absolutely love here - the little orange fungi, the sun shining through the grasses, one of my favourite winter flowers - the witch hazel (I especially love the orange variety), and the gorgeous orchids - what a wonderful selection of stunning photographs. Thank you so much for sharing, I can't believe how much colour there is during what is usually the drabbest month of the year - well it is in my garden!
Diana xx

Words and Pictures said...

Oooh berries! Oooh tree branches! Oooh little acorny cluster thingy! And especially oooh grasses, and double special oooooh with the sun shining through them! Oooh Kew!!
Alison x