Saturday, October 12, 2019

Kew- it was wet, but oh, the colours!

So, today was a wet visit - had to take the brolly.... but a bit of rain never puts me off.   I do hate carrying a brolly (umbrella)  though.
 true to promise, the beds have been emptied in front of the Palm House




 I headed round to the Waterlily house first this time
 my camera was going to spend most of the time inside the hot houses steaming up but I like the atmosphere it provides




 the gourds round the edge of the pond are decaying but prolific
 reflections
 outside, the trees were stunning


this is the big one at the top of the Broad Walk the colour has changed so much in a week






walking down the Broad Walk- trees to the left


 everything was soaked!





 the large clump of ??   I want to call them michaelmas daisies but not sure if they are -   are still beautiful
 the hedge bordering the path by the Hive




outside the Princess of Wales glasshouse



 the first water dragon was a-top the pillar again



 I had real trouble photographing them today (misting was as I say, a big problem)



 the arch covered in Passion Flower has a couple of big blooms out



 and round the corner, resting on the grating again


this is the only one that is any good (admittedly the grating doesn't make a great (sorry!)  background


 and in the trees, hidden by foreground leaves a young one again.


 back round at the pond huge water lily pads



this is in one of the drier desert sections


 Agave outside but under the shelter of the roof
 there is so much more colour in this one too

 had to walk past the sculpture again


 the evolution garden still full of colour,
 although the purple are fading a bit now



water drops... who knew!

 despite the rain there were still lots of people about, under umbrellas mostly





 poppy leaves
 macro poppy!




 the salvia border is still full of colour
 and rain!


 another strawberry tree
 white baneberry



funghi (was to see lots today.. just a heads up!)

 still plenty of green too



 malus

 Gunnera



 I was heading for coffee and cake....



amazingly, no-one was eating outside!!


luckily I found a seat inside, they were hard to come by!

hot chocolate for a change (though it wasn't cold outside despite the rain - I normally only have hot chocolate when it's cold) - and a new cake to try -  pineapple and carrot.... sounded so odd a combination I had to try it.


delicious, although not sure I could taste much of either particularly!

 another huge toadstool, this one under the big tree at the entrance



loads more colour here too since last week



 fabulous berries on the other side of the path, there was a group of women exclaiming over them



 walking back round the other path,

 soaking wet berries (hips actually I think)


 there has been a lot of rain this week (even before today!)



 looking down towards the Pagoda




 a flock of geese crossed the path in front of me....
 more raindrops!
 most of the grass in front of the Neodymium Reeds has turned to mud,  it was very squelchy!

 but the wet weather was making the colours  pop



 out of the rain into the Temperate House
 still some big hibiscus flowers







 making sure I get some pics of most of the Chihuly before they go










 I walked round a couple of times

 the chrysanthemums are still sitting in their pots waiting...

 I am sure it's just the weather today, but this seems to have faded!







 back out, still raining!!






 more berries
 more funghi
 more raindrops!







 the grass from the Temperate House towards the Pagoda and the Japanese garden was just a wet muddy puddle....

so I squelched in the grass instead so I didn't slip




but by doing so I came across a "fairy circle"  of funghi


tiny little toadstools - I couldn't get the whole thing as with the wider angle on all you got to see was the grass as it spread over a wide area



 this peacock was sheltering under trees
 but these too were just getting wet like the rest of us
 more berries
 the Japanese Garden and the Nijima Floats




 just look at the colour!



phone version - better I think.












from the other side




next I was going to head for the lake


trees laden with berries

red ones
 orange ones
 and yellow ones!

 the little pond half way down Cedar Vista

the rain was making patterns in the water
 at the lake I was rewarded though
I'd taken the globe as usual as I thought I might catch some rain in it,

but the reflections in the lake were just gorgeous through it


 I would have loved to sit for a while but of course all the benches were soaking wet, so I had to keep going!



 was juggling with phone, camera and umbrella


this is a phone one
and this



 the patch of fungi is turning black (from the rain I guess)



 went back inside the Temperate House looking for a bench




 but saw some things I'd missed first time through


 there was a space on a bench in the shelter of the entrance though

watching all the umbrellas!


 the rain seems to bring the glass to life
 back onto the muddy grass again,
 towards the Palm House..


 but I was heading for the gallery first






 back outside, I swapped lenses to capture a better view of the colour over an area


 bit wet to scuffle through the leaves today!




pink berries



as I walked down the path, I saw a small tree with a huge number of funghi in the soil at the base....



 I may have got carried away here
















 the colours were so rich





 still finding funghi!


 back at the rose garden behind the palm house




 I walked through the Palm House and of course the lens misted up immediately....


it looks like I've smeared the lens with vaseline!

I like it
but outside it cleared


 two swans paddling furiously across the pond
 that tree again!


 it's a Northern Pin Oak from the NE of the US



 underneath the canopy





 back down the Broad Walk,

for a few minutes it almost seemed to have stopped raining...


 cut through the trees back to
 the POW - yes, still up the pillar (it was over 3 hours since I'd been in the first time)


the small one was still on it's branch too but I still couldn't get a decent photo

 tiny little flowers in one of the orchid rooms


(it had been closed for watering when I was there the first time)


 and orchids

strange flowers

 the air was still so the music from the Hive (interpreted from the movement of the bees in the real hive) was carrying a fair distance and you could hear it on the Broad Walk




 still plenty of colour at the far end of the Broad Walk






but my knees were protesting from all the walking and not enough resting.


so it was time to head home


thanks for keeping up with it (if you have!)

it was a fabulous day, even though the rain was relentless - at least it wasn't heavy and I had to keep juggling with the camera. umbrella

but SO worth it!

8 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I apologize for being so far behind in my visit. I'm in catch-up mode, although I may never catch up. I noticed the beds from the little icon. What a difference it makes. Did they get rid of the flowers in the urns, too? I need to get some sleep because I have to be up and out the door in THREE hours. I'll be back later, though. I promise because I want to see what you found to ohh and ahh over this week at Kew.

Words and Pictures said...

That shot of the water dragon masked by the leaves reminds me of the bit in Jurassic Park where the velociraptor surprises Bob Peck from the side! Marvellous photos today - if a little damp. The flame tree on the island is fantastic, but it's all the berries that win for me again today. I had no idea I was mad about berries!!
Alison x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I told you I'd be back and I'm true to my word.

Gotta love the path to the Waterlily House. Very atmospheric in the Waterlily photos, too.

Right off the bat I found a great shot. #15 with the daisies. I loved how you used the depth of field in this one. Are you at a point where you can tell the water dragons apart? They are rather distinct in coloring, at least in your photos. Really love the evolution garden and # 37 in particular. The mums in # 90 were fabulous. For human interest I liked # 98 because the geese were more inquisitive than the people. And yes, the Nijima Floats are incredible and those I think I'll miss the most. I was also mesmerized by the glass in the gallery. I'll miss that, too. I liked #177 because it showed how incredibly large the sculpture is. I never would have guessed it was that tall.

Nope, the urns are still full of gorgeous color. Now you don't have to answer my question from before! I don't see how you had a camera, a camera bag, a phone, and an umbrella. But I'm SO glad you made it. It was a beautiful day, at least for photos.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Goodness. You can tell I'm ready for bed. When I wrote " I don't see how you had a camera, a camera bag, a phone, and an umbrella," what I meant was I don't see how you were able to juggle a camera, a camera bag, a phone, and an umbrella at the same time. I hope it made more sense. And I fear I should have created a few more paragraphs, too! BTW, I got home today and ended up mowing both my front and back yards. Had to mow the back twice, it was so tall. I guess you can see why I'm nearly ready for bed.

Diana Taylor said...

Just amazing photos again Helen - I was totally drawn to the one of the white glass shapes reflected on the water with the lily leaves (7th one down) - it would look amazing enlarged and put on a wall - I have no idea why I was drawn to it but it totally grabbed me! I love the Nijima floats too - I would so love a few of those in my garden.
What a wonderful change in colours now, all the autumn leaves appearing and a gorgeous selection of berries - definitely my favourite time of year despite the rain!
Have a great week and thanks for sharing,
Diana xx

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Brilliant photos Helen. The reflection one is beautiful. I think it's time the Water dragons are given names after all you are so familiar with them that you must know them individually. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Even in the rain the colours and the glass look so good! Hugs, Chrisx

Neet said...

Gorgeous huge lily pads and I love the water dragons especially the one you have caught in close up - the background fades away when you look at the colours in his face.
I love autumn so the trees are very special to me, love that Northern Pin Oak.
Your photographs are stunning, and you showcase your talent perfectly by giving us a beautiful picture fro your phone - gorgeous reflections.
Hugs, Neet xx