Saturday, October 19, 2019

A sunny Kew - and more stunning colour

What a difference in the weather this week! 
 beautiful blue skies and sunshine creating big shadows


After my opening shots I turned and went the other way because I wanted to make the most of the sunshine (it was due to turn cloudier 

and go this way round...

the leaves of the tree are even more gorgeous than last week
 and the sun on the Sapphire Star ....well   just gorgeous







 snapped a selfie (hair colour was re-done this week!) 


 you can't get as close to the tree this year as the area round the Chihuly is roped off...
 good thing for long lenses

 I walked along the path towards the gallery,
 these pink flowers look much better this week against blue rather than rainy gray sky!




the toadstools I saw last week are quite mushy now (it's been very very wet this week!)


but there were loads about again as we shall see later

 everywhere underfoot was wet and muddy but the shadows and colours were fabulous as I had hoped



 I didn't call in here yet,

 I wanted to catch the best of the sunshine on the vines and creepers around the
 pergolas at the Pavilion restaurant




 and of course the beautiful berries

 just as I was hoping! 

 I'm so glad they kept them when they refurbished the restaurant (it re-opened not long ago)
 all around huge trees... in stunning autumn shades
although there are only 2 in this photo, there were 3 male peacocks close to the restaurant


 the third one had wandered off a bit

 it isn't far from there to the Pagoda,



 with a vista back down to the Temperate House



and from there the Japanese Garden ..

the Nijima Floats were well illuminated today

 it's so sad that after next weekend they will be going..

 the trees the other side of the path


more berries...


 more funghi, teeny ones


 pale pinky white ones... loved these


 I walked down a very muddy Cedar Vista... luckily I had taken time to treat my boots with a waterproof spray before leaving home so my feet stayed dry today




 by the side of the pond, a late flowering hardy geranium, feeding the bee/hover thing

 wispy pampas grass in the sun
 I knew the reflections would be worth seeing at the lake
 there were a couple of geese up this tree making a right racket  only one on show on this branch though




 a large group of large funghi round the base of a tree







 you know I can't resist the view from the lake crossing in this weather!





 phone...











selfie time again
 the geese were enjoying a splash


 walking round the side of the lake
 walked under the tree canopy at the end of the lake

 and round to the reeds and marlins


they were roped off (due to mud)  from this side
 but you could still get a good view


shadow selfie on the mud that is no longer grass!

 never seen the Cattails looking so sparkly (well  I have but never captured it so well)

 it's like they're putting on a last blaze of glory for me!

(and you)
 inside the Temperate House, 

 halfway up the stairs (isn't that a Kermit the Frog song??) 











just beautiful as always

 everything was bathed in sunshine this morning

 some grey clouds outside though...


 I walked slowly round the platform


 my eye caught sight of a bird hopping up the roof - can you see him?




 



 I remember these tall yellow plants from last year (one of the Kew staff did tell me then what they are, but of course I can't remember)



 pretty little red flowers hanging over the path


 trying not to miss anything...





 these were growing under the white Ikebana (above) 

I lifted it by the stem it was growing from (out of shot) and was surprised to find it was quite heavy... no idea what it is though









 from underneath





 Aloysia. .  delicate.. pretty..
 teeny tiny fuschia.... hard to photograph (sorry it's a bit blurry)
 scale! 


 Babaco (never heard of it)
banana leaf



 the red cattails show up from a distance well now
 going to the gallery now...

 loved these leaves (it's an acer I am sure you realised - red-bud maple it's called)  Must look for the red buds in spring!




 there was almost a queue to get in and round the gallery - everyone making the most of the last week








 back outside I  noticed the time - gone 12 - no wonder I was hungry...


 not that I'll have these...



but it was time to head for refreshments


 not these either, however pretty they are (I may not have noticed them if someone else hadn't been crouched down looking at them as I walked along the path)


 as I reached Sapphire Star again, I couldn't resist some more photos of the tree






it was warm enough (and obviously dry) to eat outside this week  - went for the chocolate ombre cake again although I did notice another new flavour in the little loaf cakes, so may try that next time!


my coffee was free today as I'd filled my loyalty card (buy 8 get the 9th free) - member perk!
 after I'd eaten, I headed round the pond

 more tiny funghi under a group of trees outside some loos (toilets/restrooms)  - often use these ones as they are a bit hidden and there are neve queues!
 the gunnera is still huge
 the pond sparkling



 love this cloud


 there were loads of gulls flying around by the Paintbrushes
 which looked stunning today in the sun


 the beds either side of the path half way along the Palm House have been re-planted


I hadn't noticed when I took my opening shot as they are still very small
 couldn't miss going in the Waterlily house...  lots of others had the same idea, you can see them all round the outside.



so I didn't linger

 stripy stems in the bed in the planting between the front door and the inner door
the pin oak from last week still looking good


it was time to go and look for dragons...
















there was only one - up his pillar again, and I couldn't get good shots because of the leaves in  the way...
 from the higher level... you can see how high the pillar is better in this


 there were some more orchids flowering in the warmer of the orchid rooms


 and another flush of trumpet vines in the cool orchid room
 I walked through the woodland walk on my way to the evolution garden


love the golden leaves through the face sculpture



 red hot pokers in the rock garden
 cyclamen in the alpine house


 acer on the top of the waterfall
 past the face again

 I headed back to the Palm House again
a got a closer look at the gulls this time as they were swooping around in front of me


 I may have got carried away...



 the weeping willow was brilliant (literally)






 I'm glad they've left the urns planted (for now)



 crowds looking at Summer Sun
 having walked through the Palm House,

the grass in the middle of the rose garden is being restored so you can't walk down it - and I couldn't be bothered to go round the outside to look any closer (as you know, this isn't my favourite!)



 so instead I headed down the Broad Walk (trees off to the left.  slight ominous cloud hovering...)






 well you have to capture the seed heads!

 the purple daisies are still going strong



that's it for today - a mega heavy post I feel... but had to be done.

thanks for looking- come back next week for the final chance to see Chihuly... (sad face) 






6 comments:

pearshapedcrafting said...

Fabulous photos once again....roll on Tuesday - at the moment the forecast is looking good! Chrisx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your hair color looks like it fits in well with the bright autumn leaves on the trees.

I think the Sapphire Star is starting to grow on me.

The Pavilion Restaurant looks lovely. First time I've seen it from this angle.

I knew Chihuly was leaving in Oct., but it seemed to me that the time had crept up and I would not see the Nijima floats after next weekend. I was thrilled you took so many lovely shots of them this time.

The Chihuly cattails were exceptional this time. They were saying goodbye in their own brilliant way. I never realized there were so many of them.

Yes, I saw the bird on the roof, but I enlarge everything. Wow, lots of people in the gallery, but it looked like there were lots of people on the grounds, too.


I swear, I'm starting to see very distinct differences in the Chinese water dragons. This ojne has some spiny things missing on its back. Pretty distinct markings, too.

BTW, the plants in your opening shot look like they grew in the time it took you to walk around the area. I swear it looks like a different day. The first shot looks like seeds, the second looks like plants.

Somehow I feel it will be even more crowded next Saturday and Sunday as people will be getting their last look at Chihuly. That exhibit has been a great money maker for Kew.

I'll see what Kew looks like through Chris and T's lenses during the week.

Words and Pictures said...

Happily, I found I'd already visited soggy Kew (I thought it was unlucky to have two wet weeks in a row), and instead I got to visit in glorious sunshine. Amazing photos of the leaves against the vivid blue skies, and fabulous fungi too.

I wonder if it's to do with the sun being a little lower in the sky at this time of year that you get a different glow to the glass sculptures. I agree, the Sapphire Star and the Cattails have never looked better.

The photo with the reeds silhouetted sharply in the foreground and the lake drifting out of view behind is magical, and thank you for the berries!!
Alison x

Words and Pictures said...

Oh, and I meant to say great autumn hair too! x

Celtic house said...

Ah a fab post, Mother nature weaving her autumnal colours around Kew. It is looking rather spectacular at the moment. Also loving your hair colour, so upbeat and positive. I keep toying with having a bright colour put through my blonde in a couple of places just to lift it (or me) a little.

I hope you are having a grand week.

Hugs

Neet said...

Just imagine owning a miniature Sapphire Star! Or a miniature of any of them. Sorry I don't know the names.
Love the photos of the gulls swooping with the reflection of the reddish orange in the water. You have captured the essence of this perfectly.
Fabulous colours, I look forward to ore autumnal pictures, the tree near the Sapphire Star is unbelievable. Wow!
Hugs, Neet xx
ps love the hair colour