Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Back to Kew - with my cousin

so today I went to Kew again with my cousin (we won't talk about the mix up with the steps at the platform we were meeting on.... but we were there in time for opening at 10.  We went in the other gate to the one I use on earlies, so no Palm House opening shot...
First thing we did was get told off ....
 there are beds either side of the path near the entrance, we veered to the one on our right (next to the Nash conservatory where they do weddings and things) to be told we couldn't today because there was a private event in progress... inside, 20 metres at least away...
It wasn't like I was going to go and peer through the window!

I've forgotten what my cousin said these pink flowers are...hopefully she'll name then on her blog and I'll come back!




 Indian Bean tree flower (you know what I mean!)  the tree was smothered in them




 we walked up the Broad Walk (looks different walking from the "bottom" end to the top!




 agapanthas in close up



 the bees were disappearing right inside the (penstemmen?) flowers...

 there were again large groups of school kids around, but they did  move off after a bit..


 I took different things...


big weeping willow tree
 Elizabeth, it is a vine - it's morning glory.



 we went into the Waterlily House early before it got crowded - waiting for a huge group of kids to exit we then had it more or less to ourselves


 contrasting newer and decaying, gourd hanging side by side


 my cousin noticed these pretty little flowers down by the side of the pond
 two horticulturists came in and got into the pond to clear out the weed and tidy up the lilies
 roses by the bronze outside

(the one that looks like it's growing in the hedge)

 lobelia in the palm house bed
 Angela agrees with my "bad hair day" description






 sorry Neet, no selfies of the two of us..












funny little flat acorn - tree is a red oak










 whilst my cousin was taking her photos I noticed this reed had a kink!




 inside the Temperate House - more work going on



the one inside the doorway



 trying to take an arty shot of the inside of a trumpet vine

 then it was time to show her the centrepiece...




 shooting with the sun behind it for added drama!






whilst we were up on the walkway a large gaggle of kids crossed the floor

no faces so I think I'll be ok including them





 up at the Nijima floats I got the globe out - but the sun nearly burnt my fingers - couldn't believe it - so it didn't stay out long




 snuck a silhouette profile of my cousin in this one...







it's been a while since I photographed the Ice Crystal  still not a favourite but..


 after lunch we headed for the lake stopping again at the Sapphire Star

 the lake was full of weed again - but my cousin says it's also partly pollen - both sides,  nearly the whole lake


the swans were out
 and the growing cygnets all went of swimming in a straight line
 dad (probaby) went on ahead...

there were hundreds of dragonflies at the water's edge, but they were flitting fast...


 there were also a brood of very small fluffy ducklings!  Mum was splashing about beside them
 they can only be a few days old
 at the top of the lake, the smoke tree

 we were both incredibly hot so headed for another hot place in search of dragons..


pausing to look at strange cactus flowers
 this will be huge when it's open - hope I don't miss it (probably back Saturday as normal)


 we were rewarded
 from the other side




we walked through the rock garden - my cousin spotted these, it was hard to get a good profile of them


 they were watering the rock garden, with huge sprays of water which luckily kept splashing us!



 we had a quick look in the Evolution garden but were both too hot to enjoy any more so headed for home




I know my cousin enjoyed her day - she's taken over 800 photos...

thanks for looking 



5 comments:

Neet said...

Ah well, at least you got a silhouette of her. I take it she is camera shy?
Thanks for another lovely day in Kew, I particularly like the smoke tree, never seen anything like that before, well I don't think so. The lobelia took me back to my childhood, dad always had lobelia in his display in our front garden, he took great pride in setting it out in a certain way.
Your bee photographs are spectacular and I love the indian Bean tree flower - thanks for these.
In fact, thanks for all the photos you treat us to.
Hugs, Neet xx

Diana Taylor said...

Ooh I think the Sapphire Star has to be my favourite piece, what a lovely shot of both you and it together. Thank you for the fabulous photos and the very enjoyable mooch around Kew again,
Diana x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Starting from a different location is sometimes good. It provides a different perspective. Thanks for showing the morning glory. Also in that shot, I noticed a LOT of people were there. Ironic, since it was a work day, but these must have been seniors.

Had to laugh at your description of the kidlets in the Temperate House: a gaggle!

You got some incredible close-ups of both flowers AND Chihuly pieces. It's amazing how quickly your little globe heated in the sun. Too bad, because it produced some beautiful shots.

I LOVED the cacti with their flowers in bloom. They bloom so rarely and only for a short time, so your timing was perfect.

Wow, your cousin must have had a good time. Your restraint at a mere 90 photos today is unusual. Thanks for taking us with you and thanks for taking your cousin around, too. I suspect she enjoyed her trip there.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Very different from the last set of photos I saw - constantly changing with the season. Love your hat, the ducklings and the gecko!

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Lovely photos of Kew as always. Thanks for sharing. Sue