Monday, July 15, 2019

A day playing tourist in London

So this morning I woke bright and early (blooming body clock doesn't know I'm on holiday!)  and headed for London.  It started out a bit fresh and cloudy, but ideal for walking around, don't want it too hot in London.

 I decided to go to the Tower first as I haven't been for a while
 decided against joining the Yeoman Warder tour though - huge crowd, wouldn't have a chance of hearing
 so I wandered around on my own.


Traitor's Gate where they brought the prisoners in up the river for incarceration
 portcullis
 official residences inside the Tower
 chapel on the left, Crown Jewels building on the right

 I joined what seemed to be a fairly short queue to see the Crown Jewels - it was slow moving though (LOTS of school parties - all over London in fact)


no photography allowed, but very impressive jewels and Coronation paraphenalia.   It always amazes me seeing the gold cloak how tiny The Queen is. 

Guards on duty outside




after coming out from the Crown Jewels viewing, Iheaded for the White Tower
past a piece of Roman city wall



 the wall of the White Tower as I was climbing the steps to the entrance




 sorry about the glare from the glass








I have showed the next photos before, but not the "blurb" that explains a bit about them!


I'll try and show things I haven't before, or at least in a different way


 




breast plate anyone!




 noticed a cabinet against a wall -


 they have made some changes to the displays since I was there last, so I am not sure this was on view before





 I still love this ledger of receipts though - and still think it would make a fabulous journal!


 they've improved the lighting here, it always used to be really dark

 spiral staircases everywhere (hated the one to go up the Bloody Tower which was half the width of this one and nothing to hold on to)


 firearms
 it was pretty crowded so I decided to head out
stopping for some pics of the river and Tower Bridge





 despite the cloud there was no hint of rain and it was pleasant to walk around as I said.



 I headed down the road towards the tube station

ironwork on the roadside










 I wanted to go to St Pauls and got off the tube

near the Bank of England

 taking pictures of buildings I liked, not necessarily knowing what they are
unless there is a handy sign!


 as I walked down Cheapside I saw the entrance to a shopping complex that I recognised



a few years ago I had done a Charles Dickens walk with my friend Lin and we were told about this place with a roof top terrace
 where you can get glorious views of London


(there is a bar, Madisons up there but I just went for the view)



 couldn't see the sign by this as someone was in the way.

love the view of St Pauls through it though!
 today cloud, when i was here before, it was sunset - fantastic that night!










I love it up there!

seem to have got my finger in the way though on the selfie!



 the bar is behind the flowers
 even the lifts are beautiful
 glass!

you get a great view while you zoom down!



 from there it is obviously just a hop to St Pauls


 I sat on the steps and ate my sandwich
 and had a little play





 I do think some of the pillars could do with a good scrub clean though!





I was about to walk off in the other direction, when I remembered

 back the other way in a small garden this fabulous stainless steel sculpture




 I crossed the road (there's one over there too)




 the clouds suddenly cleared and the sun came out


 I just love the reflections you get in these sculptures









 I headed down towards the Millenium bridge


couldn't resist these big stainless steel balls though, more great reflections
 crossing the bridge, fab views




 great view of St Paul's behind
 it's a very modern bridge (built for the Millenium, obviously)


 the river was very busy..


 I've been watching this tv programme about an Illumination programme for 15 of London's bridges (which is fascinating and I look forward to seeing them finished)


they were talking to this man (who's name I didn't catch) who paints on the chewing gum left behind .... I'd never noticed it before but made a point of looking for them


apparently, the police used to try and stop him, but as he's painting the chewing gum (wish people would take it home or throw it in the bin) it doesn't count as the bridge itself, so he's not doing criminal damage, so they largely leave him to it...

he wasn't there today, I expect he goes when it's not so busy


 pleasure cruises..
 tugs were towing huge barges of containers about - it's been ages since I saw the river so busy (presumably they have to wait for high tide for the depth)



 I decided as I was now on the south side of the river, to pop into Tate Modern



never been before, lots of the galleries are free, though they do have some exhibitions that cost



 wheelchair busker, playing steel drum.



 I love how as you come off the bridge you get a split level view





 Tate Modern

I only went through a few galleries


 I liked this one
 although some of the interpretations of most modern art confuses me
 this looked like the mark making Seth Apter does. 
I liked this one too





 and these seemed very impressionist to me (Monet-like)

 although that's not what the blurb said!


 I did like them though

 outside the buildings are as modern as the Tate art




 the Tate
 I jumped on a bus as my legs were starting to ache


this is at Charing Cross station


and this was over the road

hope you can read it.

it's a Coutts bank branch supporting LGBTQ


 as I walked from the bus towards Trafalgar Square, I passed St Martin in the Fields, a famous church on the edge of Trafalgar Square


I noticed a sign for a cafe... I was desperate for a cuppa...
 what a pretty little cafe, under a canvas awning for some shade...


a lovely cup of tea too.



the chairs were really comfy, I could have sat there for ages...
 the sign was right!  London's hidden cafe indeed



 I walked round to the front of the church




 before crossing the road into Traflagar Square to show you a proper look




 Nelson's Column, in case you didn't know!



 I would have gone down into the square to the fountains, but there were clearing up the fanzone from yesterday's Cricket World Cup so it was all taped off444
 National Gallery - no energy to go in today




 it was hard to keep all the lorries taking the barriers away, out of the photos





 one of the lions




 Nelson atop his column
 fresco round Nelson's Column






 I was taking Admiralty Arch at the head of the Mall, but the street lights are quite fancy!



 look how blue the sky was now
 that's better, despite all the traffic
 I headed down Whitehall - they had been saying on the radio (I was listening to it as I walked)  that the England Cricket team were to have a reception in Downing Street - but not what time...



 entrance to Horseguards Parade
 complete with Guard and his horse!


the usual number of tourists posing by the side of the horses..



 you have to take a quick shot before the next bus comes by!




 Downing Street behind it's bars - people were starting to gather, but I didn't linger - just as well, as they didn't arrive till about 7pm..



 the Cenotaph


 love all the carving

soon I was down at Westminster - Big Ben still under wraps for it's repair programme...
 as is much of the Palace of Westminster
 more photo-grabbing in between buses!


London Eye.


must go up it again one day - today would have been perfect weather!




 a much-decorated Westminster Bridge sign





 as I tried to find a bus stop back to Victoria, I went into a little garden (that I'd found last time I was in London actually)

last time I hadn't seen the statue of Emeline Pankhurst though



 Lambeth Bridge - I was getting off track but luckily





 there are plenty of maps on the streets so I crossed the road and jumped on a bus that came along really quickly
getting back to Victoria at 4 - wanted to be out of London before rush hour



hope you've enjoyed today -   tomorrow we're back to Kew as my cousin is coming for the day.



7 comments:

Miriam said...

Wow.. You achieved alot today. What a treat though.... Some amazing landmarks and your pics have captured them perfectly! I will have to do this with you one day.

Lin said...

Great post Helen brought back some memories. Glad you enjoyed your day

Neet said...

If I ever go to London on a sight seeing tour I will book you for my guide. Thanks for doing it virtually Helen, you are so knowledgeable and your photography is great.
Love that ledger - had to have some crafting in somewhere.
Hugs, Neet xx

Diana Taylor said...

What a lovely day out you had - I love the idea of the guy painting the chewing gum - at least he's making it look more decorative! The St Martin in the Field church was used in the series The Rev I think - if not then it's an almost identical one, I shall have to Google that now!
Once again I've loved your photos - I was born in Kingston and spent my childhood in and around London and then later going back and visiting family when I was older -there's no family left up there now but your photos have brought back wonderful memories - thank you
Diana xx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Happy holidays, Helen! And thanks for the big tour of London. I used to live there - absolute ages ago - and the skyline has changed considerably since. I'm not sure I would find my way around now. I felt a bit like a tourist alongside you - and now I don't even have to go - I've seen it all for free LOL!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OMGosh. How did I miss this? Had I not gone to visit your desk, I would have missed this completely.

I never like joining a tour. I prefer to take my own time, or spend a little time. When on a tour, you are bound by their time, not your own.

The tower horses were incredible. I was so in awe of the metal and the workmanship. I probably could have stayed in that one area all day!

You think the ledger would make a great journal and I think the tour books would make great art fodder.

That butterfly was gorgeous with St Paul's in the background. And those stainless steel sculptures were incredible. LOVED the reflections.

I had NO idea London had so many bridges. It is certainly a busy river. And I loved seeing the man in the wheelchair playing his tenor steel drum.

It's wonderful so many London museums are free. Not so where I live. Everything costs money here. It's not so bad for a single person, but when there is a family, it adds up quickly. BTW, I agree that the red and black painting reminds me of Seth, too. But the Richter art was different from what I expected. I can see that it reflects the story behind it, but I can also see it in a very different light.

GOOD for the Coutts bank. Courage and pride. I wonder if there are always flowers and wreaths around the Cenotaph.

I really enjoyed seeing all the old architecture and the new. I also enjoyed all those bridges. Thanks for this and I'm sorry I missed it before.

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Lovely photos of London. I found the memorial to the women of the war rather haunting. Sue