Saturday, June 8, 2019

Normal service is resumed... Saturday at Kew

After my fabulous weekend away last week it was back to normal today - Kew.. Rain...  Wind..  Sun... Luckily the heavy showers forecast didn't really materialise.
Sit back and enjoy a shorter trip than recently...
 in at 8am in a light drizzle.. I had worn my waterproof jacket as a precaution (I hate this coat, it isn't especially waterproof, certainly isn't warm, I try hard not to have to use it)


the alliums in the Palm House beds are still looking raggedy..
 I followed a large gaggle of geese along the path, whilst changing lenses
as I approached the other end, I noticed they have started to re-plant the beds with summer bedding.
as you can see, it is a work in progress!

 I headed down a damp Broad Walk but the rain was already lessening.
I stopped to capture some raindrops on things!

first irises.





as I reached the halfway point I veered right







to take the path to the Hive
 and round the path up the wildflower meadow.  they're as tall as me now, the grasses. 
(about 5'6")


 the daisies are big too
view down to the Broad Walk

 I love how these are pink at the outer edges and creamy white in the middle
 At the top of the path near the entrance to the Hive I noticed this.. I guess it's always been there.....

no way was I going to sit and listen to the bees today!


 southern marsh orchids





 the peonies, so beautiful on Monday, are looking a bit rain-battered.  it's been quite wet this week!



work is coming on well on the new beds though.  Think it's meant to be re-opening in a fortnight.


 I went up to the other end where you can get in to part of the vegetable garden.  the wind was buffeting everything making it hard to focus, and the bees couldn't land in the flowers very well, they were getting blown past




centre of a large clematis.

no ladybirds mating today, much too damp

 headed back along the Broad Walk,
captured this great sky with my phone
 I headed out past the Sapphire Star

 the lovely yellow daisy like flowers from earlier this week had drooped, I couldn't make out if they've been flattened by weather or been partly cut back



 walking round the back of the Temperate House, which wasn't open yet, I saw a patch of blue, and white clouds!  don't mind white clouds, you don't often get wet from them!


 taken through/under an open bit of window into the Temperate House.  I do wish you could walk round the back of the bedding.. there is a path, but it must be just for working from for the staff.



 as it wasn't open yet I headed back up the grass to the Rose Garden and back to the cafe for an early refreshment stop



peaceful today with no school groups!



 this isn't a very good photo (out of focus) but I like the contrast of the colour in bud form to the open flowers.


 walking past the end of the Palm House beds,
a last look at the alliums as no doubt they will all be gone by next time.
it was a day to sit inside to eat... raspberry and white chocolate muffin this time,and hot chocolate... I had filled my loyalty card (buy 8 drinks, get one free) so this was my freebie..


 as I sat and ate my cake, I noticed through the door the sun was coming out, so I headed outside again.

I sat on a bench by the Temperate House for a few minutes,


 before walking round the outside again


 I came to a door that was open (still just before 10) so I nipped inside

by now it was quite warm and I was carrying my coat, although it was still very windy





 the centres of this flower is a really bright green but I couldn't get it focused properly





 I went up the stairs to view the Chihuly from above again




 I heard Monty Don on Gardeners World last night refer to this as the Cup and Saucer plant..
bet that's not what is on the label (if I could find it) at Kew!
 I love how it is climbing up the steps though (photo above)





there wasn't a lot of sun so didn't take so many today, but had to take this one of the pale blue translucency!


 I love this large tub full of daisies.. or margherites they may be







 especially when I can isolate
 single stems!


 walked over under the trees round the Treetop Walkway



to head to the lake
 where one of the adult swans was swimming around.

no sign of the (presumably) female or the 6 cygnets...haven't seen them again




 I sat on a bench by the lake...









 when all of a sudden...

he took exception to the goose and shooed him out of the water!


before deciding not to get out but to swim off again


 I stopped at this group of white flowers by the lakeside, in the sunshine.



I noticed a fly
 so macro'd in!


so bright and irresdescent
 but so tiny!
 I carried on...




 back towards the Palm House.

this really is my least favourite!






 stopped at the other end of the rose garden on my way to the waterlily house..

 the scent is much less marked on a duller cooler day



 I know this is through a misted up lens, but the gourds are growing around the waterlily pond, they seem to come from nowhere!


 eventually got one of the yellow ones un-misted!




 the flowers on the tulip tree were being blown about madly so I still had trouble capturing them this time too



 into the Princess of Wales now, (no dragons today)






 remembered to go down past the bougainvillea this time














from there I went along to the alpine house

 these looked as if they'd been brushed with Treasure Gold!

(Leuzea conifera)
 I loved these.  didn't see a label though





 back outside in the Duke's garden




I loved this,














 the grasses are still quite low in the grass garden in front of the alpine house




 but the sky was now blue!
 I went back down the end of the Broad Walk I hadn't visited first thing





 and found a bench in the sun


the grasses wouldn't stay still!


 the geraniums were poking through the slats in the back of the bench I was sitting on.
 I can't stop photographing the alliums

 I didn't notice the hoverfly (I think) flying into the geranium at the time



I walked over the grass to the garden by Kew Palace


 chimneys and roofline of the Palace

 the laburnum arch has finished, but I walked round the sunken garden

 globe artichokes, the ladybirds were out now
 heather in the box bedding





thanks for looking..




8 comments:

Sally H said...

Gorgeous photos as ever, Helen. Hope you didn't get too wet. we got the rain today! I love the Irises and the orchids too. All gorgeous!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Beautiful shot of the urn. The geese were loving the newly turned soil in the beds, too. Gorgeous roses.

I swear your muffin looks too good to eat. Very much like a cupcake, in fact.

That cobalt blue Chihuly gets me every time you show it. It reminds me of blueberries.

That swan showed the goose who was boss, didn't s/he?

As always I loved seeing the Alpine House and the grass garden with the rocks and waterfall. This was probably my favorite shot of the day. Of course, the shot of the chimneys and roof line of the Palace was a pretty decent runner up. Thanks for sharing and taking me along with you for this remarkable day at Kew!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Pleased to see you managed to get some photographs without getting very wet. Saturday wasn't too bad here but today it's pouring it down. Have a great week, Angela xXx

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Are you sure you took enough photos LOL? Great shots and you're so lucky to be able to experience the gardens in all weathers and seasons! I bet they change from week to week.

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos.

Hope you are having a nice week. Sue

Virginia said...

Brilliant post as always but isn't this rainy weather draining at this time of year. I'm sure the gardens will be grateful but I for one would like some drier days if at all possible.

I still love the glass sculptures, but some of your macro shots show how amazing nature is and probably where the inspiration comes from for the sculptures!

I hope you have a fabulous weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Neet said...

So much to see and comment on but I love the ducks. Can just picture you walking along behind them LOL.
Your close up photography is second to none, I really love the centre of that daisy how you have captured every tiny bit of it. And the raindrops on the flower petals is magical.
Another wonderful journey as seen through Helens third eye - her camera. Thank you so much for treating me to delights I would not otherwise see.
Hugs, Neet xx

craftimamma said...

I agree with Neet! so many beautiful captures that I'd never get to see irl. I have to say I am becoming less enamoured of the Chihuly pieces the more I get used to seeing them and some I definitely don't like at all. Like you I don't like the spiky red and yellow one at all or the lime jelly.

The flowers more than make up for it though and that stunning white iris is the perfect way to end your post. Thanks for braving the weather for us.

Hugs
Lesley Xx