Saturday, January 12, 2019

Kew, predictably

Once more Saturday found me heading to Kew.. it wouldn't be Saturday without it! 
 another very grey morning but not too cold

b
 the Broad Walk, looking plain without the Christmas additions...
I headed first for the Princess of Wales glasshouse to look for dragons..

my eye was caught by this mahonia

there were lots of blooms


 inside, they are getting geared up for the Orchid festival next month (starts 9 Feb) and some of the planting has commenced


the younger water dragon was back on the branch, no sign of the second youngster or the adult

I checked all round the POW for the other ones, but saw none; so I decided to come back later.


 but there was plenty of colour inside the POW




 these orchids are there  most of the year but will be joined by many more for the festival

you'll probably get sick of seeing photos of them


  I came out of the POW and went round to the rock garden,  a glimpse of sun on the horizon through the alpine house never materialised



 so I had to content myself with colour in the alpine house

 lovely tiny flowers
 outside the waterfall was flowing fast
and a mass of bullrushes in the foreground



 a mass of berries on a tree that I couldn't get close enough to from the path to read the label
you know how much I love the Palm House framed by dogwood


 so much new growth

just look at all these flowers





time for a pit stop of hot chocolate and cake (early today, and inside, not outside weather this week)
 and masses of hellebores too



I carried on towards the Temperate House, making sure to check out the witch hazel again,
even on a grey day the yellows and oranges shout out at you







this was an intriguing tree (can't remember now  parrotis something or other)  love the reddish pink


 I headed inside the temperate house
 where a wave of perfume hit me from various plants

this one
 this was gorgeous


 and the jasmine - beautiful
pattern on a watering can caught my eye






 whilst the tagetes that were clambering up the pillars have been cut back, there are still plenty of blooms
 I had to duck under the leaves of this that were overhanging the path, but liked the way the light was coming through the holes in the leaves
 had to stop at these again this week




 coming out of the Temperate House I headed for the lake, past the Treetop Walkway, which was still devoid of people so is obviously still not open again.

time for an ultra wide angle to emphasise the scale (and the grey clouds!)


 weird tree trunk features

 the only part of Christmas at Kew yet to be dismantled, everything else has gone. 
No doubt the frogmen will be in during the week to remove the boats/stars



the swans were swimming amongst them



 I headed back towards the Palm House





 pausing to take some closeups of the sculpture


this one is from the phone
 it was hot inside the Palm House and when I eventually got my lens to de-mist I wandered round





 you always get good light shining through these palms



there was some kind of wedding fashion shoot going on as a couple in a wedding dress and suit were being photographed against the tropical backdrop.


I saw them again outside later

 the gulls love to perch on the urns (yes, empty for now)  to preen










 there was still only sign of one of the water dragons, I had hoped I might catch their lunch time but not today.

I checked the middle of the plant up in the cool orchid section where I'd seen the dragon last week, but there was no sign of it there this time.



 misty shot but with the longer zoom on (haven't been carrying it with me but as I had it with me today had better use it)




 more signs of prep for the orchid festival

it will be interesting to once again see the display develop week by week

 the theme is Colombia this time so  imagine these "birds" relate somehow



 back outside I went down the Broad Walk were about the only colour (other than green/brown)  were from the hellebores



 after a trip to the "conveniences" I headed for the exit

 love the way these were growing

 lots of snowdrops around




 and as I walked past a tree I saw these purple fruits,  the tree was labelled date plum.  well they are quite plum-like I suppose



 fruit, but no leaves... odd. 




I don't remember seeing this tree in fruit before (unobservant, probably as it was a big tree so obviously very old!)


That's it for today, hope you've enjoyed the trip again.

Hopefully next time it might be sunny!


4 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

WOW, I was taken back by how bare and plain the Broad Walk is. So, so different than summer AND with the Christmas decorations as filler.

Goodness, I'm already loving those orchids and can't wait till you take us to the Festival this year. I can't wait to see what they do with the bear. I like how it's peeking from behind some greenery. Columbia? WOW. So different from last year. Those birds are definitely beautiful.

Will the dragons be out and about during the Orchid Festival? Will staff be available to make sure they are safe?

The beautiful colors inside the Alpine House were fabulous, even without the sun materializing. OH, that waterfall looks cold. Maybe it's because I'm cold right now.

That witch hazel is glorious, It reminds me of my hair right after I wake in the morning.

Beautiful shots of jasmine flowers and the random shot of the watering can was so unexpected, yet perfect.

Those wide angle shots of the Treetop Walkway were totally impressive. Too bad they are still working on it.

It was good to see the little boats were still on the lake. Frogmen???

The swan swimming among the boats showed what the boats truly looked like for the first time in over six weeks. To me, this was the money shot of the week!!

OMGosh, I was so surprised that the mask sculpture had those leafy holes in it. Every time you show it, I learn something more about it.

Ah, snowdrops. I've only seen them in photos, never IRL. Thanks for the trip to Kew this week. I always enjoy it and learn a lot when you take me/us with you.

Virginia said...

Oh those photos are lovely, I dragged my two into the Camellia house at YSP yesterday just so I could see some real living flowers!

Thanks for sharing, I hope you are having a grand week.

Hugs

Sally H said...

Stunning photos, Helen! I could never tire of Orchids or hellebores! The Dogwood looks amazing! Nature is wonderful x

craftimamma said...

As always, a treat for us armchair visitors to Kew!

I do love that face sculpture Helen and am glad you took those close up shots as I didn't realise there was all the leaf texture in the surface. I'd seen the leaf holes but not the texture. It's wonderful!

The pretty snowdrops have reminded me I'm definitely intending going to Hodsock Priory for their snowdrops this year and I think Hazel is coming with me. According to their website I think 2nd week in Feb is a good week so I'm hoping it's not too cold/muddy.....I need new wellies!

The temperate house certainly gave you a wealth of gorgeous photos this week. Some really pretty blooms and I just love those white ones with the long stamens. Next to those the witch hazel are my choice for 2nd favourite flowers this week I think.

I'm glad I remembered I'd missed this post Helen.

Hugs
Lesley Xx