Saturday, January 19, 2019

Kew, in the cold

The forecast was for cold (correct)  and showers (incorrect)  - and despite having had a cold and cough all week I still wanted my weekly trip..

 the opening shot doesn't look any different to the last couple of weeks, not sure any growth has taken place in the chill!



 remembered to play with the globe early this time...


 witch hazel providing pop of colour in an otherwise very grey day
 large agave outside the POW



 work on this year's Orchid Festival is continuing - I took an early trip into the glasshouse out of the cold, mainly to look for the water dragons.



this sloth is cute! (I think it's a sloth, he's got a sloth like face!)


he's hanging over the pond




these are in the cool orchid area

(meaning the area the orchids come from tend to be cool )

initially there was no sign of water dragons so I went back outside

the grasses on the Broad Walk have had a hard (and very neat) prune, ready for the new season, and to allow the spring bulbs room to flourish over the next few months
 it may only be mid January but the daffodils are growing, no sign of buds that I could see yet (that really would be early)


I went into the Orangery restaurant, was just going to get my normal coffee and cake - but saw that they served BREAKFAST  - don't normally go in this one this early (10.30ish)  so hadn't realised.







I had a very nice toasted sausage sandwich and flat white coffee....   I was tempted by a full english breakfast... maybe next time!


 quick walk up to the Hive...



 and back into the POW glasshouse...

through  the main entrance (the one I used earlier I think of as the back, but it only really depends on which way you approach it_

plastic (I assume) butterflies hanging colourfully....


I heard water behind me... turned just to see the mouth of this dolphin (?) spurting water into the small pond next to the entrance..


will get a better photo next time

 this time I was lucky, one of the young water dragons was sitting with his (her) tail in the water

I couldn't get closer, because parked on the path alongside where I normally watch them, was a cherry picker they are using to put up the Orchid display


so glad I saw it though, and that they are still around during the display (to answer Elizabeth's question a week or so ago)


 down by the pond there was a lady painting this vine thing...

she had done a good job... wish I'd snuck a photo of her work now!



 back outside, the bed at the top of the Broad Walk by the Palm House is starting to look colourful

(primulas)



 and these paler ones are in the bed nearer the Palm House

as I walked past the beds outside the Palm House I noticed a few gulls in the grass, doing a sort of trampling dance, with their feet... then pouncing and eating... obviously whatever grubs they were eating come to the surface from the vibrations... never seen them do it before.

it's all about the timing I guess










rose hips

 I went over to check the hellebores on my way to the Temperate House.


they can be seen from the path across the grass but not many people seem to go and investigate..
 they weren't as droopy as normal so I was able to get some decent pics without kneeling on the mud!

 the witch hazel was looking more magnificent and the large shrubs certainly provide a welcome - and huge - splash of colour



I put my camera bag on a bench and noticed this robin



he hopped down on to the grass behind me, managed to catch him before he flew off

 this slightly darker yellow hellebore was in the bed under the witch hazels.


 there are several varieties, all different bright colours.  love them (and they smell fabulous)


 the robin on a potplant



shared this one from my phone on facebook


 lily, inside the Temperate House



 couldn't see the label for this,  nice and fluffy though!



 in one of the octogon mid-sections,  some large tubs filled with sweet-smelling Paperwhite narcissus...

beautiful
(phone)








there is always something different coming into flower



 the lake is now clear of the Christmas lights

no sun at all but enough light for reflections still



 the swan couple were sailing up and down

 there were geese and ducks and gulls too,



 this seems slightly less pink and more purple since I last noticed it..
trees everywhere are springing forth

(prunus)

 as I approached the back of the Palm House I got the globe out again

 another robin on the holly hedge




 the hellebores down the Broad Walk



 I cut under the trees in the grass back to the POW for one final check...
 another part of the orchid display



 across the other side of the path to where I saw the baby, the adult was now sitting on a rock.. again I couldn't get close due to the equipment...


the little one had gone by the way...


 but doubled round the other side for a front view!



 back outside, not sure what this is - no label - but had a sweet scent




monkey puzzle tree...


and that's your lot!




2 comments:

craftimamma said...

Despite it being what I consider to be the most depressing time of year you certainly managed to find some lovely cheery blooms to brighten up the dreary January day. I love the witch hazel and the narcissus remind me of my Mum because she always loved them more than daffs. I think I do too actually and they certainly smell nicer. Those fluffy white things look interesting. They look as though they might have a bit of a daisy likeness when fully open but they are lovely now. The close up of the yellow primrose is beautiful too.

The orchid display looks like it's going to be interesting and I love that sloth's face. Quite realistic really.

Glad you managed to get out after your week in the office and a nasty cold into the bargain. It was well worth it for the pics!

Hugs
Lesley Xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I hope you are feeling better, because this was a beautiful post. I can't wait to see the orchid display. It's already looking good. I didn't know you knew what a cherry picker is. I've used one before when closing a manufacturing plant in CA one year.

Thanks for the photos of the baby dragon and for answering my question about them. I just hope they stay clear of small children because I know what the crowds are like during that show.

It's freezing here, so your photos brightened my morning. Thanks for taking us with you and I hope you feel better. LOVE that globe. Those were the money shots today, I believe.