Saturday, November 10, 2018

Today you get - a Three-fer

As I mentioned on my "stampingbyh" blog on Wednesday for WOYWW, I wanted to go to the Imperial War Museum in London to see the Tower Poppies "Weeping Window" .  the forecast wasn't meant to be good all day, but I woke to fine weather (after a lot of rain overnight) so...

 as I walked down the road to the station I saw some pretty clouds (you know me, I love my clouds!)



 I had to go to a cash machine on the way to get some money out.  I passed the building that is nearly finished now... nice reflections from the flats the other side of the road...

perhaps it would be a nice day after all!



Eventually I got to London and found my way to the Imperial War Museum (been a while since I went, so couldn't quite remember where I was going, luckily there are maps dotted around )

Peeking over a fence into a park





 the poppies  - the London version of the Imperial War Museum has the part of the exhibit called Weeping Window - are falling out of a window in the top of the museum.

You probably remember that when they featured at the Tower in 2014 (commemorating the 100 anniversary of the start of WW1)  there was one poppy for each of the war personnel who lost their life. 

Weeping Window is just stunning.   like a shower of blood falling from the window. 



 there was a huge crowd of people viewing them, and waiting to enter the museum at 10



somehow, the poppies scattering across the grass with fallen leaves from the trees were even more poignant.

 it was hard, no matter which lens I used, to get all the poppies in!



they look as good as ever, despite having been on tour round the UK for 4 years!


 two large guns flank the path at the front of the museum





 finally the doors opened and we piled in...




I didn't take many pictures inside, or indeed, stay long

However I made a point of seeing the new 100th centenary exhibit Moments of Silence 

the first room is pitch black and you listen to the guns finally falling silent at 11am on the 11th hour of the 11th month.... (tomorrow)
This is from the next room - the link may help explain it

 I did wander around a little.   these cards reminded me of Kyla (a WOYWWer)'s "man bites dog cards.






 from one of the landings you can see a fab glass roof



 I was struck by some photos from one of the sections about after the war, especially this one....(the big one)


 there was also a small area dedicated to the Poppies and their tour round the UK

(you weren't meant to photograph them, so don't tell anyone!)






 as I wound my way back downstairs, some
things just spoke to me

(London figures)
 on theground floor (I think)  this V2 bomber - couldn't believe how big it was.



there was also an information board in front of it (which I couldn't get a picture of) - I didn't know that the man responsible for the V2 bomber was also behind the rocket that powered Man going to the moon some 25 years later.....



I was tempted by one of these scarves commemorating the Tower Poppies - the design is from a photograph of the Poppies in the Tower moat 4 years ago.
the price put me off (I bought a different one)

 as you leave you get to see a different view of the bottom of the cascade from the back
 hopefully you can enlarge it to read a bit more about the poppies
 still lots of people - the display ends next week, before it takes up it's permanent position somewhere at the IWM London - will be interesting to see where.


love the park behind too.
 had to take lots more pics!



 the sun was really bright now, and interfering with my composition!



 I walked down the path a way...








 I meant to go and see if I could see what this statue is about but I forgot.



 couldn't tear myself away...





 close up


 finally walked back to the station ....



which is called Elephant and Castle.
I anticipated Elizabeth wanting to know why it was... and I didn't know ... so here is Wiki's answer!


I jumped on an underground train....







to the Tower.    for the week running up to tomorrow's Remembrance Day, the Tower of London are putting on (well, strictly, it's put on by the people who did the poppies)
Beyond the Deepening Shadow.

sadly I wouldn't be there at night to see the torches lit... you may have seen on the news (well you will have for sure if you're British, you may have anyway

 the moat is filled with 10,000 torches that are lit each night

here is a link to the official website which tells you about it

and the BBC pictures


I don't envy them tonight though, as by 5pm it was pouring with rain!



 crowd control ready for later!




 couldn't resist a photo of the Shard in the sunshine, across the river..
I took a quick trip inside, would be rude not to (as a Member I can go in for free)


love the shadows on the castle wall
 it was busy inside...
 one of the fabulous Yeoman Warder tours was in progress.  They attract a huge crowd and as you know I've tagged along several times.  They present the history of the Tower in a very informative and a times very funny, manner.


not today, though

one of the street lights


 sky still blue and sun still shining..

forecast was very wrong for this morning!

 gargoyles round the top of one turret
 looking down an alleyway




















a Raven singing away



look at the time!  I must away...








 but what are all those clouds suddenly doing






 headed back to the station.
 walking round the lower walk above the moat




 oh hello, where are we now then..


bet you can't guess...





beautiful red trees outside....



 well it wouldn't be Saturday if I didn't find time to go to Kew!


I arrived about 2.20 or so, having got more trains from London


they close at 4.15 in winter after the clocks go back, so I wouldn't have long....




and also, the clouds were getting more ominous now!




 they've emptied your urns, Elizabeth!




a new bench has been installed this week,
as part of Kew's WW1 commemoration (another link for you if you want to read more about the bench)

basically, it was made from a tree that grew at Kew for nearly 100 years from an acorn that was collected after the Battle of Verdun in 1919, but had to be felled in 2013 after a violent storm


I'll share some close ups in a bit..


 the Palm House planting is settling in
 belatedly get to my "first view" shot!



 it was starting to rain now, the clouds yonder telling the story...




 so I went to have a look at the bench.


It's called Remembrance and Hope

it's two sided, the Remembrance side sits facing Kew's war memorial plaque in it's little temple



and the Hope side, this side, faces the Palm House
 it's beautiful!




 but I didn't want to sit and get wet, so will save that for another visit.




 the Smoke Tree is stunning now, looks so different to last week, the colour has totally transformed

 just beautiful!

this is one I took on my phone
 the Berberis (by the new bench) is stunning too




 even with grey (full of rain) clouds behind, the trees look stunning

 I went into the Princess of Wales glasshouse to look for water dragons, it was really dark with the grey clouds overhead...

no wonder they close an hour before the gardens do in winter!    no sign of dragons either.



I went for a coffee whilst a really heavy shower passed overhead...
 and when I'd finished so had the rain... well, almost...

 a glimpse of blue behind the branches...
time to go, I think!










this was the view as I walked back across Kew Bridge on my (final) way home...

definitely time to go home!


so, a three-fer -   hope you've enjoyed.






5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

OMGOSH. I'm SO glad you made it to the Imperial War Museum. Seeing all those poppies, although not quite as spectacular as the ones you shared in 2014, were still incredibly impressive and actually DID look like the window was weeping blood. I didn't notice the poppies on the ground in the first photo, but by the time you showed the Museum further back, I was surprised they were everywhere. I couldn't believe these were the same ones that had been traveling all that time. They are NOT the same ones from the Tower, are they? Didn't you purchase one that had been on display at the Tower? It was fascinating to read these poppies are from the original exhibit. I can see why you were SO mesmerized by these poppies and couldn't stop taking photos of them.

I was just at my friend Sami's blog. She showed poppies from Australia and there were over 61,500 Australians who lost their lives in WWI. I'm surprised that was more than the British lost.

Wernher von Braun was not only responsible for the V2 in WWII, he was also responsible for the first space flights that were developed in the U.S. after he was moved secretly to work at NASA, our space program. I know this because of the Space Museum I visited in 2016. I thought his V2 didn't work well, though and cost more than it was worth to make.

Loved reading about the Elephant and Castle. Also learned what a coaching inn is, too. All new info to me. Thank you.

OH WOW. The lights at the tower are amazing. I know you shared them in daylight, but the link you sent me to was simply overwhelming. I see you got to see the installation for free, but being a member has its privileges. Wonderful photos in and around the tower.

I know I shouldn't ask, but what are those buildings between the tower and moat shot? Specifically, photos 72, 73, and 75.

Yep, I immediately noticed the URNS were bare. Even the ones (urn plantings) in front of the Palm House were gone. Now it's time for the birds to fill them with p##p.

What an amazing day. I loved the new benches. I was SO impressed. And I bet you wore your poppy, too! Thanks for this amazing remembrance post, Helen. It was incredibly wonderful. BTW, I was here over two hours, reading both your blog and all the links you shared. Also, I loved the photo of the trees in front of the hive. A great shot.



craftimamma said...

What a very full and interesting day you had Helen. I'm finding all these commemorative installations and ceremonies are making me very emotional this morning. It's so easy to become a little blase about history but this was such an important sacrifice from so many and I think it is especially important that we are all reminded of it in these uncertain times. Thank you for taking the time to share your day and all the information you picked up along the way with us.

Kew was, as always, simply stunning and the new bench is particularly beautiful and another fitting tribute.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

craftimamma said...

I've just been back to the link about the bench. Thanks for including it as it was really interesting. Lesley Xx

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Thanks for sharing your fab photos. Sue

Virginia said...

What a fabulous post, it is fantastic to see the poppies again, we saw them on their tour at both Yorkshire Sculpture Park and when they did the mining museum in the north Hornchurch comes to mind but now it doesn't sound right.

I too wouldn't envy lighting all those torches.

The colours in the gardens are spectacular!