Saturday, November 3, 2018

November sun at Kew

so once again I had to go by bus to Kew thanks to the continuing sporadic strikes... 
It was cold but a promise of sun....
 there was a lovely sky as I walked to the bus stop
I arrived at the gates in plenty of time so was first in..

gorgeous pale blue sky and the plants in the beds are settling in well already

 and the pond was gorgeous with the trees reflecting in the water
 I walked past the side of the Palm House alongside the rose garden



towards these beauties!

 I walked down towards the Temperate House
where work on the Christmas at Kew lights event are under way...
 the trees are definitely losing their leaves fast now, but the low winter sun (really don't think I can still call it autumn) was beautiful through the remaining leaves!
 the ground was quite muddy, we've had a fair bit of rain this week
 I walked through the Temperate House and headed for the lake...



 I had one of the long lenses on and couldn't get the whole cloud in, it was fantastic!

holly berries


 the Temperate House in the sun behind golden trees..
 the sun was behind the Treetop Walkway casting it into shadow

 they are installing the lights on the lake.

the reflections made me think they were stars....
but in fact they are like paper boats.  Obviously not paper!  They are going to be amazing at night



 I walked round the lake

 and back down past down the bridge
 the swans were still swimming around
headed back across the muddy grass


loving the light through the trees
 noticed this leaf with some pretty markings on a tree trunk



 there were lots of people about
 just to give you and idea how low the planes fly on their way into Heathrow!




 my route kept criss-crossing today




 the Palm House from a different angle, clouds coming and going as you see



look how bare this tree is getting!

 beside it, the Smoketree is turning more and more red


 although not lower down!

 someone was throwing food to the birds on the pond.


gulls were circling!
 I walked round the pond, 
 hmmm   either something's been moulting or there's been a fight!!

feathers in a border.


 gulls still in full flight


walked down the Broad Walk,

not a lot of colour left, but still some fading beauty.





 I stopped and had coffee and cake at the Orangery (the cafe at the Victoria gate is still being refurbished)

 and a very nice cake it was too (Cherry Bakewell cake - odd in a sponge cake maybe but yum!) 

still warm enough to eat outside, although as I said to my friends on FB, no taking of my coat off - it was quite breezy!

afterwards I headed off to look for lizards...


not a good selfie, and my hair needs cutting!  (next week) 
but I was well wrapped up, and the sun was warm enough to undo the coat






 the Orangery is such a pretty building




 maidenhair tree was brilliant in the sun



 the maidenhair is huge
 inside the Princess of Wales glasshouse



 I did see what these were called a couple of weeks ago but I have forgotten!



 the archway still had a few passionflower blooms but most had faded, they don't last long



 at least I didn't have misting problems this week





 no sign of the water dragon(s) today sadly....

the titan arum, though the flower falls quickly, hasn't completely collapsed.  you can see maybe how big it is though




 through into the tropical fern section
 and the cool orchids


love the water drops on the petal

 more water drops

outside, a furry leaf covered in dew drops



 I hadn't see there were people in the temple till I downloaded the photo
 the salvia border is finally starting to fade, some of the plants looked as if they had been touched by frost




I saw a couple looking at a little group of pink in the rock garden - Nerine





 the alpine house from the grass garden
 the wind was blowing quite strongly so the grasses wouldn't stay still



but the sun caught it beautifully



 I enjoyed the view of the tree through, and behind, the alpine house



 and the difference in it's appearance as I walked away from it

 as I got back to the Palm House pond I was struck by the way this woman was lost in thought gazing across the water


I had to sneak a photo

 the gulls had settled on the newly planted beds!

never tire of the sun through the Palm House


 I went round the back and sat and watched the roses for a few minutes... still so many flowers!



in the Palm House


Beehive Ginger   this is from my phone, as the camera ones were blurred, and misty!




 I knew I would have a long journey home, as the train strike and Saturday traffic would cause havoc -  and there was international rugby on at Twickenham, and the bus route takes me along a route that veers off towards there, so I headed back to the exit


another look at the Smoketree...


 as I went out I saw these huge terracotta pots, and shamelessly stole the idea to photograph them from my cousin!







It did take me a couple of hours to get home, but at least it was dry this time! 


thanks for looking

3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Goodness, Helen, only 95 photos today. The view of the plantings in front of the Palm House look great, but the green areas in the first photo showing them and the one toward the end make me wonder what that green actually IS. It almost looks like it was carpeting, although I know it isn't. I see the urns are still doing well and they might even last through the light show later in the month.

I was confused by the "balls" near the Temperate House until I read they were for the light show. Speaking of light shows, those paper boats DID look like stars to me, and I had to do a double take after you explained what they were.

Low winter sun describes your photos perfectly. I was in awe of how you captured the light and shadows in the grasses, the trees, and the dying plants. The tree behind the Alpine House didn't look like the same tree when you moved to a new location.

It's amazing that you have a poppy. They don't seem to sell them in the states. I think it's a great way to never forget the wars we humans caused and the lives that were taken.

I would LOVE to see more of the Orangery over time. I agree it's beautiful.

It's amazing what we see when we download photos. I've been shocked by how I was photobombed and didn't even realize it until the photos were on my computer. It's STILL a great shot of the Temple.

I enjoyed the trip to Kew today and loved seeing how the trees are changing with each passing week. Thanks for taking me along and I didn't even have to wait for a bus or take hours and hours to get home, either!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I wasn't talking about the plants, but the green areas like where the birds were standing in photo 84. Upon closer inspection, it now looks like it must be grass, because I see tufts of it up against flowers.

Diana Taylor said...

Gorgeous photos Helen, as always. I love the autumn colours - the Beehive Ginger is fabulous to look at, but what a wonderful name, I'd buy any paint or ink if it was called that! The little paper boats looks so lovely as stars, I bet they'll be amazing all lit up - I hope you get to see the full effect in the dark.
Thanks for the lovely post,
Diana x