Saturday, July 22, 2023

Kew

 Back to a normal Saturday routine for Kew, rain forecast later so thank goodness for early starts.

Kim was poorly so I was on my own today.

at the entrance though as my membership was scanned, I met an old schoolfriend Penny who works at Kew but I've only ever met here once (during the orchids festival) so had a quick chat before heading off..
they're definitely too big to hide under Mum's wings now!

the fountain was on... looks like my attempt to get it spraying out of the urn was slightly off-centre! 
still looking good in this bed





there was a bit of breeze and the spray was being blown a bit
now down the Broad Walk 





love these lilies


I should have stood on the bench to get higher

alliums going to seed

love the mix of the verbena in amongst the agapanthas


drat, reversing the order!  








not really sunny but still some bees around 


crossing the grass tothe massive tree that was full of bees a couple of weeks ago... walked round it peering into the trunks looking for a label...

no sign.  the flowers are like the Indian sweet chestnut trees though so I think it must be something similar, a very multi-stemmed one!
the flowers are starting to fade a bit now


monkey puzzle tree - I was reading an article on the Kew website about an autumn event that is planned,  they mentioned that the monkey puzzle carries  seed cones
and pollen cones on the same tree
lichen

the bare bed round the young Stone Pine that was planted to replace the massive old one they lost earlier this year, has now been planted - I was only saying to Kim last week I bet they plant it up....

(phone)



underside of a clematis on the pergola in the evolution garden
different clematis
japanese anemone
fennel
echinops
echinacea

my favourite part of the evolution garden, any time of year...
helenium





3 bees on this kardoon on the bed to the left of the path


aster

love this one with the yellow of the solidago in the background

I love this -   

it always reminds me of the drawing by Charlie Mackesy for the mole in his story The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse 

my other favourites, the agapanthas up near the route into the rock garden

heading back to the pond 


tall yellow flowers through the face sculpture 

agapanthas round the pond




through the gunnera 





I headed for the cafe where I bumped into our fellow regulars Patrick and Joyce who treated me to my coffee and doughnut - and I forgot to record the event!  

afterwards I headed back round past the Palm House
where one of the young geese was walking past with it's family - his/her feathers are really growing now.



at the lake


I crossed the lake and climbed the stairs up the walkway... yes, the lift has a technical fault - it doesn't seem any more reliable than the original one....

lots of cloud but it wasn't cold up there

I passed (had to climb over) a family peering through the grill of the walkway down to the ground below... to be fair they did move to let me by then got back down - so I snuck a photo 



luckily these weren't rain clouds - or at least they didn't empty on me

walking back down the stairs is much easier than going up
the dead tree mirrors the shape of the structure.  so pleased they left it in place

taking the path round to the Temperate House which would be opening very soon - all this in 2 hours so far...
the Pagoda against a very grey sky
lemon tree outside the Temeparate House






typically they opened the doors starting at the other end so I got fed up waiting for them and went round to go in by the middle door
before wandering round the palms and tree ferns


and then went up to the viewing platform 








flip!  blogger has reversed them again.... this is in the far section near the door I had been waiting to enter by
the Eneste (the false banana) that was drooping over the path has been removed, the plant has died as happens after flowering and has been taken out so you can see through to the other bed now
right, back to the main "room"



from above
my walk round the platform continued!  

coleus round the window ledges in the west (I think ) octogan

such pretty patterns on the leaves

passion flowers
lovely grey leaves




bamboo ( I think) stem






outside now 

myrtle.  

this is a new area they're planting
heading back towards the Palm House
wrong lens to get the whole tree in one pic!



outside the Palm House
hanging over the path

it was hot in there! 




bloody blogger...

this was on my way out of the palm house







on the grass outside the waterlily house are two huge lily pads they've removed from the pond

the pink edges are really soft



gourds in the outer section are bursting open
revealing seeds and white fluffy stuff!  (I am sure there is a technical term for it!)

there are plenty of lily pads in the pond still though
and loads of passionflowers all round the perimeter



love the crinkly edge of this one

in the corner of the waterlily house 

more passionflowers

now to the Princess of Wales conservatory


last week there were lots of of these about to flower, this week, some were out - timing is everything






my eyes weren't focusing well




but the phone didn't have a problem

qutie a few in flower - this was another clump along the way
by the edge of the path

back to camera,  it's a shame the heating grill under the glass is in the way


I love the frilly petals

into the tropical rainforest bit

this was gorgeous - lovely pink flowers, they kept falling as I watched, (should have done a video)





bit blurry,  but they were falling onto the leaves underneath

it's called,  (deep breath)
barringtonia racemosa 










upper level 

out of order!  
by the pond in the POW 
in the water (no room to display outside the pond here)
upper level (it wasn't me going up and down lol  )  




my mum used to have one of these as a house plant
a few orchids 

the new tree trunk (not that it is a tree as we saw in previous weeks)

orchid on the new tree display (above) - hanging from it -  




great water drops



the girl was still watering the plants in here so I beat a hasty retreat to stay dry

grevillea
tendrils
more passionflowers

dahlia outside

grasses outside the alpine house

bees - top of rock garden outside alpine house

there wasn't masses inside the alpine house 

but the house leeks were good


euphorbia


walked through the rock garden 
back to the pond


big clouds...


and through the legs of the lion - been meaning to re-do this shot for weeks Palm House in the background



Then it was time to head home - it started raining whilst I was on the second bus and is still raining now! (4 hours later)  luckily only light rain .

thanks for looking, see you again next week! 











3 comments:

Celtic house said...

I don't think I've ever seen the underneath of a water lily leaf, what an amazing structure, reminds me of a brain if I'm honest.

Your trip looks lovely, the colours all still so vibrant, I love the passion flower colour it really is lovely.

Hope you've had good weekend

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I promised the teens I would be here today and here I am, just two days late. Lovely opening shot and also you included the urns in full bloom, too.

"Your" fountain looks good, even in the wind.

Is that yarrow (two yellow photos) before the day lilies? Loved seeing the bee on the cone flower (echinacea). I've never heard of a monkey puzzle tree, but I like the photos you took. Lovely underside of the clematis.

Sorry to read about the lift for the walkway. Too bad after they spent all that time and money making it safe for people who find it hard to climb up and down. For me, going up is easier than going down.

Those ferns have really grown. That looks like bamboo to me. Yep, I KNOW bamboo, at least the spreading kind. Hope Kew's isn't. Beautiful banana palm, too.

Those dying waterlilies are enchanting to see. Simply amazing. Beautiful live ones, too.

I always love it when you show bees, and the one at the top of the rock garden made me smile.

Hope you didn't get too wet going home. Thanks for this wonderful day at Kew.







Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Great photo collection. I love the fountains, there's something so relaxing about them. Hope you're having a good week too. Hugs, Angela xxx