Saturday, May 13, 2023

Kew

 Back to Saturday visits after the excitement of the Coronation last weekend.  The day started well, if cold (forecast was wrong)

the Palm House beds are still in the process of being replanted...you can see what a dull day it was from the colour of the sky!  
some of the beds have lavenders  planted in them
on to the round bed at the top of the Broad Walk,  the alliums are opening out nicely.  


then it was down the Broad Walk... 
and big swathes of alliums,  







wild flowers round the hill that the Hive is built on..
the big wisteria -  it doesn't seem very full of flower this year (same as last year, although it's second flush was better)
normally if you sit inside it, you can barely see out for the mass of flowers

but what there was, smelt delicious

there were lots of dandelions on the little hill next to the Princess of Wales conservatory.   and yes, I did give it a nudge to disperse the seeds....
in the little outdoor waterlily pond,  I've forgotten what this is called, common cotton something or other!  
it does look like cotton wool

in the bonsai house was a bonsai hawthorn in fading flower -  the sign said this tree is 45 years old and this is the first time it has flowered!

the gates to the student beds were locked but I peeked over... things are growing well
and my favourite wildflower bed that runs alongside the edge of the student beds are going to be fabulous before long...
camassia

flowers on a fern of some kind in the evolution garden

wisteria along the wall that borders the rock garden/evolution garden
iris




meconopsis -  a pretty yellow one

we were looking for poppies are there are some coming into flower near my home, but not here so far 





spent peony - even after the petals they look good

gorgeous colours


huge peony as we went round the corner to the border along the rock garden - just love the deep pink middle
viburnum on the wall

the flowers were huge and covered the wall.  




Kim sent me a photo via twitter  - more of that later -  the hood of my hoodie is up because it was still so cold!


as we got to the end of the rock garden we saw the alpine house doors were open (they'd been shut when we passed from the other end earlier and someone was inside watering.
love the yellow stamen on the flowers 
acquilegia 


had to go and check the seedheads of the pasqueflowers on the upper path of the rock garden - they did not disappoint






looking across the rock garden
bit blurry, but lots of bugs on the peony!
at the pond, the fountain settings were higher today

gunnera, growing daily





at this point we went to the loo.   This turned out to be a disaster... my phone was in my back pocket.  Never ever do I do that... I forgot...  and yes, it fell into the loo.... promptly stopped working (and now I am home is hopefully drying out in a bag of rice...new phone time me-thinks!)  Hence Kim having to send me photos by twitter!

phone wrapped in tissue to protect it for the rest of the day,  we headed to the lake and the mirrors...

Kim's hood was up too (but mainly because she was trying to hide from me..)

she was trying to dodge my camera...
you can just see her at the edge of one of the mirrors in the middle





she got me again !




still cold, still no sun, but some reflections



walking round the lake towards the far end


the laburnum on the lake edge

we decided to take a last look at the bluebells down the woodland walk as they are fading now.


first, wildflowers - I always want to call this cow parsley, I don't know if that's what it is...

it was deserted (still before 10 so only members in)
wild garlic still going strong
shame there was no sun on the bluebells, they look so much better

hints of pink in the middle of the white








as we got to the end of the woodland walk, and were heading back towards the cafe we saw this over to the left ...
it was a huge white rhodendron 


and behind it out of sight from the path, a pink one.  

we walked a bit further up the grass past the small pond - can you see the coot nesting in the middle?
bullrushes - I should have put the long zoom on but couldn't be bothered (I was still so cross with myself about the phone it had quite spoilt my day!) 
heading back round the other side of the lake back to the cafe 

obviously no phone, so no refreshments photo!  FYI hot chocolate and a blueberry muffin - inside, to stay warm!)  
then through the Palm House.. serious fogging issues...
pretty flowers 


curly tendrils 


at least it was warm in the Palm House


then we crossed the path to the waterlily house
this flower was huge and the pads are growing well too

couldn't fit the whole pad in the photo!
and this was such a pretty peachy pink

such gorgeous patterns and colours on the leaves 
outside, we crossed the grass to go to the Princess of Wales conservatory


couldn't resist the alliums again as we cut through the Broad Walk

entering from the arid end... still love this spike of colour

there are lots of red buds on this cactus
into the rainforest section
upper level, I loved this orange - towering above me, but the camera was throwing a wobbly and wouldn't take decent photos... hope it is still there next week 








damn,  blogger is just reversing the next lot...
back on the ground level, heading out again 








this is on the upper level after the bright green fern photo...


and this is the final one today, angel's trumpet  just inside the door 


thanks for looking and wish my phone luck,  although I think it will be a case of a new one!  Shame about all the photos on it, although I could probably download them back again from my google photos.... 


Sunday edit... new phone up and running,  getting use to it!  

2 comments:

Celtic house said...

Oh I really hope your phone recovers will keep my fingers crossed. The alliums looked beautiful I love that purple and the wisteria as well. We seem to have a huge amount of dandelions around at the moment, I'm blaming the council not keeping the grass trimmed which means they've gone to seed.

It was a shame it was so cold but at least it was dry, the laburnum looks amazing as always. I hope you have a good week ahead.

Hugs

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh dear, so sorry about your phone. It really is such a long time since I commented here! I love. seeing your photos but I often look on my phone which doesn't let me comment! ( I can't even comment on your WOYWW post until I charge up my old tablet because my computer is only letting me in here)
Loved seeing the tulips and bluebell on your posts from the last few weeks.
We have been out and about a bit lately - are Rhododendron flowers particularly big this year ? - it seems so here!
Hoping for some better weather soon! Hugs, Chrisx