Friday, April 7, 2023

it was a Good Friday at Kew!

Happy Easter to you all.  Today, Good Friday, forecast warm and sunny... only one place to go (when there are no Southern trains running into London Victoria...

stunning blue sky today  and although first thing it was chilly, it did warm up (9am start for the Easter holidays)


I was on my own today, although I had half expected Kim to also take in an extra visit!


loving the sun on the tulips in the urns on the pond edge

and these pale yellow ones in the beds are so pretty


early morning dew (or overnight rain) on the tulip leaves. 
I criss crossed the path between urns



and the beds 


for a change I decided to head first for the woodland walk so turned down the path alongside the rose garden past the beautiful Yoshimo cherry trees

they were gorgeous against the blue sky but truth the told the blossom itself was better last week in the grey  - it is so short lived.


still took loads though!






so pretty with the blue sky backdrop this week though 


stopped off at the magnolia dell,  boggy underfoot but a gentleman I spoke to said it had been worse last week (when Kim and I avoided it)



the big white magnolia varieties are fading - you can see from the petal on the right the weather damage they've suffered 



i nearly got distracted by the additional blossom beyond the magnolias but fought it!

(tomorrow, maybe!)


and instead carried on through the mirrors towards the lake and then the woodland
it was surprisingly dry underfoot between the two halves of the installation, they must have changed something as previously it's been a mud-bath!

you can see from my attire that despite the sun it was still quite chilly!



 


I took a couple on the phone too
the tip of my camera lens (this was before i swapped to the shorter zoom) and my shadow ..


along the side of the lake


the lake it always beautiful but today.....
amazing reflection of the blue sky and trees 
I had the zoom on still,  so could get more of the toad/Superworm in shot... there were lots of kids already following the trail so I left them to it...


and carried on towards to end of the lake



I didn't continue round though, as I was heading for the Woodland Walk

but I did allow myself to be distracted by the shrub with the white blossom... 

and look how many daisies there are in the grass! (tip of my head shadow in the bottom of shot!)
I am not sure what it is (hawthorn?)  

but it is smothered

carried on round the path to the woodland walk 
another shrub smothered with blossom
it was very peaceful  (in fact thinking about it I didn't notice many planes overhead today, far fewer than on Saturdays)  



I had specifically gone to the woodland to check for signs of bluebells (and wild garlic)  neither of which were out - although I could smell the oniony smell of the wild garlic at the top of the walk so it won't be long. 


shadows of trees on other trunks...
bright acid green leaves illuminated in the sunshine 

I headed back towards the Temperate House





via the Treetop Walkway (used the lift up, did walk down the stairs though)  




little bit hazy in the distance but you could see along way

the plaques at various stages round the walkway have been updated I think.  several of them look different 
















towards the end of the path that runs up to the Treetop Walkway is a drooping tree just starting to blossom
you can stand underneath it to view out











then I got carried away by the silver daisy bush again

I stood on the benching that runs round the beds in here... 








you know how I love this when it flowers in the Princess of Wales conservatory


then I got carried away by the huge pink stunning shrub outside the back of the Temperate House.

it was just starting last week...wow!!!  












shortly after this I ditched the coat!  

















there's a white variety next door.


along the path from the TH (towards the Pagoda)

but I was heading into the Temperate House



it was past "normal" opening time and already busy inside (in fact eveywhere)

the gerbera was positively glowing

I was still fighting with the camera on some shots...







up the stairs to the viewing platform
not sure why some people insist on ignoring the "up only" signs and go down the up stairs..... grumble grumble.

spiral staircases aren't meant for passing... too narrow.
these people were doing the right thing ha ha



looking through the structure

out f the window,  the top of this urn is all mossy
looking down at the pink beauty from above!  





back on the ground level.  blogger has decided to reverse order of this next batch.. can't be bothered to delete and re-do!
















outside, the cherry trees in Cherry Tree walk are starting to bud, and the tulips underneath are starting to flower... can't wait for them! 


more reverse order, but the blossom is gorgeous!






back towards the Palm House now (was getting hungry!)
but took a diversion through some wet grass to some more pink trees!



and some delicate daffodils,


before heading back to the path round the rose garden

to carry on the other half of the semi circle
of Yoshimo cherry trees
half of the round bed of pink tulips at the junction with the Palm House

I was lucky to find a table in the sunshine for my sausage roll and coffee as the cafe was busy by now

as soon as I finished and went to get up to clear away more people grabbed the table! 

the family at the table in the top of the photo had brought their own picnic including a paper table cloth that they  laid over 2 pushed together tables!

off round the palm house pond past the weeping tree.... 


the gunnera are starting to grow 
round the side towards to the evolution garden
more blossom there




marsh marigold

tulips towards the vegetable garden
alpine house
cute daffodils outside the alpine house in the rock garden


just inside the doors








just inside the doors at the far end 

fir tree outside the Princess of Wales 
inside the POW








then I was heading back round the top path along the Rock Garden for the pasqueflowers


they were looking stunning in the sunshine










a lot of these were taken lying on the path 








and a couple from the phone to finish

I love how they grow along the edge of the path 


you can see why I love them! 

heading back now to the exit





the fountain had been off earlier but now it sprung into life, albeit with the jets set very low
good reflections 
I nearly avoided all the people in this shot!
it shows how it droops though
through the branches with the palm house blurred behind

on the way to the exit.


thanks for looking - I will be going again tomorrow, to meet up with Kim, but may (ahem) not take so many photos...


2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

those tulips are incredible. I really like how you showcased the ones in the urns.

Those cherry tree flowers are amazing. Just beautiful.

Beautiful magnolia blossoms, too.

That shadow of you at the mirrors is surreal.

That toad and super worm were well done and a great photo.

That woodland walk is stunning. I've never seen bluebells OR wild garlic for that matter.

Nice to read the lift is fixed on the Treetop walkway. Amazingly, it's easier for me to climb up than down. You got some great photos and no contrails, either.

It was fun seeing the silver daisy bush and your fascination with it. And that pink shrub is stunning, too.

Nice photos in the Temperate House, especially the architecture.

I had to laugh at the antics at the cafe. I'm surprised the people wanting the table didn't actually push you out of the way. I'm also surprised the people who put two tables together didn't need to buy anything in order to use the picnic tables.

LOVELY tiny flowers in the Alpine House.

I can't believe you were lying in the grass to get the pasqueflowers. they were stunning in close-up, though.

Lovely photos of the fountain. Thanks for taking me with you today. BTW, I'm a photo junkie, too, so keep them coming, dear Helen.





Celtic house said...

The tree top walk really does give you a stunning perspective doesn't it. Loving the detail on the tulips, I've got some appeared in the garden (which I forgot I had planted). Loving all the blossom as it makes for very spring like photos. You definitely made the most of the two blue sky days, we were preparing a room ready for painting and having a tea party on the two aforementioned blue sky days, going to try and make the most of today if I'm honest.

Hugs