Saturday, November 19, 2022

Kew - in a different order!

 Kim and I decided to walk round a different way today so we didn't forget to feed the birds at the lake. 

but of course my starting point is always here 
the winter bedding (primulas mostly I think ) are starting to flower

I found the panorama setting on my phone, I need practice at this mode!

there was a hint of clear sky over the Palm House (it disappeared, but stayed dry )


we turned down the path that runs round the edge of the rose garden
there are still some roses in bloom.  the structure in the middle is part of the Christmas at Kew but I've not seen what it is from the right angle (lights of some kind)  

berries

lots of beautiful liquidamber leaves still on the trees








we headed to the lake



stopping to catch the reflections at the Breach, which as you see, is still here!
I followed Kim, catching her and her reflection, and me too!




watching me watching you watching me....

at the lake 
there were more pigeons than geese to start with
the lake was looking pretty

we both love the pattern on this goose's neck, very different tomost of them 
as we left some of  the pigeons sat on the tree - although I do'b't really like them, their necks are quite pretty colours!
these trees are strung with poppies (as we found when we got closer)  for Christmas at Kew

there's lots of colour still
we found small mushrooms today, no giants!



as I tried to take a photo of this squirrel in the tree from a better angle, it jumped off 




we decided to walk up the path towards the Japanese garden to see how the colour is on the trees there

we passed lots of holly berries  (Holly Walk surprisingly! )  

a couple of weeks ago the berries on this tree were mostly hidden by leaves



callicarpa 


we walked round the Japanese Garden and were surprised to see blossom - but it is a Winter Cherry so I guess that's why




had another go with a panorama



there is only one Peacock left in the gardens apparently,  and we happened across him today


walked passed the Pagoda on our way back 



I had the wrong lens on but it was too muddy underfoot to put the bag down to change it,  that's the only drawback of the rucksack, can't open it without putting it down, or everything would fall out


as I craned upwards I thought the dragons poking over each level looked more like turtle necks...

or just me maybe!
more mushrooms as we walked back towards the Temperate House


this was in the base of a tree trunk


mushroom or leaf?   it was a mushroom, you could see the stalk if you crouched down  






we did find one bigger mushroom under a tree near the huge ones from last week (they'd gone, I wondered if they'd been harvested for the kitchens)
unusual berries on this tree  (Eleagnus Umbellata)  
the leaves are a really pretty grey-green




the colour on these seems to have intensified since last week 

this was a different variety of the same tree 

I should have taken this with the phone, the camera got confused by the little yellow patch on the top, it was very cute!
back at the Rose garden, the spiky lights we saw last week
tree by the pond
headed down the Broad Walk.  

not much of interest along here at the moment in the beds,  and no water drops on anything (for a change)

the liquidamber tree is fab though

remember the birds in the trees from last week?  there are more,  lots of them  

they probably look much better at night, illuminated
path in front of the Hive

these caught my eye... pittosporum 
they look like little eyes !

grass garden 
bee - still as anything,  hopefully snoozing only



veg garden.  still can't see the label on this
globe artichoke






evolution garden

leaf  on the plant below...


those pretty berries are still going strong 

the label says 

ampelopsis glandulosa

(the ones at the Pavilion restaurant are nearly gone, but they grow over a pergola so are more exposed) 




over the other side of the evolution garden -  the physalis have been cleared,  but there were a few skeletons left around the edge of the patch
 there was one fruit loose on the ground which I picked up and wrapped up safely  - I will watch it decay at home!

If I remember I'll photograph it as it goes 




back at the pond.  I was surprised the fountain was on, albeit low,  as they don't normally disturb the lighting in the pond 


we saw a large black bird on one of the light fittings.  couldn't see it clearly,  didn't have the zoom tody...

i think it may be a cormorant

I've tried to crop it to show you better. 


by the Victoria Gate entrance is a massive Christmas tree, we stopped on our way passed in the other direction for some bauble-selfies!

we'd looked in the cafe thinking to get a drink and snack but the queue was long (then we realised it was 12.15)  


the chittamwood near the entrance -  I no longer match it,  it's turned orange!



we headed back towards the pavilion restaurant for our drink...


guess I match this bit still !  

more mushrooms in the leaf litter on the slope at the back of the Temple of Bellona 









some white camellias out now, looking gorgeous


we sat outside with a cup of hot chocolate - and it was hot this time!

after a short sit down we headed back past the Temperate House to head home

I managed to hit a setting on the camera and got some very odd shots for a while..

all sorted again...

more berries (myrtle)  
then from a distance we saw one of the trees was lit up -  we'd noticed a loose connection as we'd walked by earlier,
and a man with a ladder had come to sort it!
they always light this tree beautifully for the Christmas event 

another one of the Christmas light effects






and a final big red tree!


thanks for looking,  hope you enjoyed -  was a lovely day (was wearing my warm coat) despite the grey skies.




2 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to be late visiting. I've been very sick and have mostly stayed in bed with my cats. BTW, the batteries are NOT the problem with my camera. It's the camera itself that has quit working. I just recharged the batteries to be sure after I put them in the camera and it wouldn't work. This is the second camera that this has happened to. I think Nikon must be a jinx.

Nice panorama photo from your phone. It really distorts things, though.

I loved seeing the Japanese Garden, the panorama view, the peacock, and the Pagoda.


You found lots of mushrooms and they are all so different. Sorry this is so short, but I must get back to bed soon. At least you know I visited.


Celtic house said...

Stunning photos, I love the ombre tree colours at the moment although we are definitely nearing the end with the increase of yellow appearing in the locality. Hope you've had a fab weekend xxx