Saturday, November 16, 2019

Kew

Time for another visit to Kew!  No fog today, or rain either!! 


 I walked round the other side of the pond first today
 great reflections  -  ripply ones

  still ones!
 a quick walk down part of the Broad Walk

 and round to the Hive


 still lots of leaves on trees and colour on the leaves

 this beauty is the one I saw through the structure of the Hive
 I just love the patterns on it's leaves
 next to it, the huge Maidenhair tree (gingko)  is stunning
 shedding a little yellow carpet!
 into the Princess of Wales glasshouse early on today
 and I struck lucky

the water dragon was again sitting in the water on the rock



 and another one, on the through in the next part


fabulous!


 I took the steps up to the upper level and disturbed a third water dragon sat on the path, but it shot off into the undergrowth and disappeared... so 3 today!

 as I walked back down towards the exit, I stopped to look at this, that I'd seen on Kew's FB page yesterday



I'll let the sign tell you about them




 the alpine house from the evolution garden

echinacea seed pods



 I love how the flowers of the physalis decay

 these grass seedheads were bright in the sun





 the strawberry tree
is still looking pretty


 back at the top of the Broad Walk, loved how the sun was shining through the remaining leaves

 a pair of swans (and two large cygnets) were sailing across the pond
 creating nice reflections







I headed for something to eat
which I managed to eat outside, as it wasn't too cold, although most of the seats were quite wet from the overnight rain.


hot chocolate, (my latest favourite drink, they make it very well at Kew)  and a blueberry muffin.   they seem to have a limited selection in the Victoria Gate cafe at the moment....
 the smokewood tree still beautiful




I decided to head down the route of the Christmas at Kew trail...





 where one of the trees whose leaves are still golden, are now full of golden balls! 

 the trees in the distance were sparkly in the sun, like the lights in the foreground
 looking back at the tree with the balls  I suppose I should call them baubles really!


they were too high up for selfies! 



 behind me the sky was quite grey, but it did make the leaves pop
 turning back round again, the sun was shining through these leaves




 and behind me glistening on the lights


 outside the gallery, the acers were brilliant!




inside the gallery, a new display has gone up, the rooms are full of botanical drawings and paintings. 

I only took one photo today, of my favourite (or part of it )

from an artist who paints on the reverse of the glass,  and I just loved it and the shadows it created on the back of the painting



you know how I love teasels!  and shadows...

 walking along the path towards the Temperate House, the sky was looking quite ominous but again, the colours popped against the grey





 climbed the stairs to the platform




 the palms were translucent in the sunshine

 so I took loads

 and then down at ground level again
there were some new flowers around the ledges in the intersections




 this one is called Paint Brush... anyone would think it's a Chihuly piece!

 spotted this at the foot of a plant in one of the beds

 as I went out of the door, I took this because the sun was shining on it.  I only just saw the cobweb!


 they were putting the finishing touches to the lights on the trees
 they work!  they'll be pretty at night
 I walked up the path towards the Japanese Garden


 walking through the grass and the heavy leaf litter, I saw a little clump of funghi

 the rowan was still smothered
 and I love this pink-y berries




 still neatly raked!
 I turned to head across the grass to the lake







 the trees along the walk towards the lake were stunning




 but the sun was going - should have come her first!





I decided to head home before it rained
 walking past the Palm House a large flock of gulls were flying around the other end







I decided to detour to see if the water dragons were still out.....
 loved the sky over the Princess of Wales glasshouse!



the water dragons had all gone, though




















 so I headed off to the Orangery cafe (for the loo) 



and home... beating the rain, as it happened, luckily.


thanks for looking













5 comments:

Sally H said...

Wow, Helen! What stunning Autumn colours you captured today! Some beautiful leaves and berries too. I love this time of year!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I see there are now a few flowers blooming in your opening photo today. Those poor urns look so sad and forlorn, though.

The leaves in photos 16-17 are beautiful. I would be drawn to those leaves, too.

Amazing that you found THREE water dragons in a single day. What a find.

A great view of the Alpine House and those fungi flowers must be unique to see. At first, I thought they had spiders on the branch (DUH).

Wow, I can't wait to see all of Christmas Kew. The balls/baubles are already piquing my interest.

I look forward to seeing more of the images in the gallery. The teasels and shadows were quite appealing.

Wow, the palms looked especially good in your shots. And it was great to see the tree of lights that were lit. I can only imagine how pretty these flowers will look at night.

I take it you aren't allowed to walk in the Japanese Garden and that it is cordoned off, even after the Chihuly exhibition was gone.

Tons of yellows and many oranges and reds in this visit. Really enjoyed the time at Kew today, dear.

Powdered Toast Man said...

Those are some awesome patterns on the leaves. Looks like someone painted it.

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Loving those autumn colours - picture 42 is amazing! Looks like you had lovely weather - Saturday was lovely around here too.

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Thanks for sharing your visit to Kew. Beautiful photos as usual. Sue