Saturday, May 11, 2019

Kew - Chihuly and Alliums!

The forecast today was for showers, and frequent ones.. Luckily most them avoided me at Kew, just a few odd spots of rain. 
I arrived for 8, of course. 
 it was however, grey and cool first thing...
 most of the tulips  in the round beds have started to fade now,
but the alliums in the Palm House beds (and elsewhere) are really coming on strong.

I am sure you remember from last year how much I love these beauties...
there will be lots of pics of them 

 I just love the long look down the whole length, and the purple and creamy white mix
 Palm House backdrop


I think I like the outer edges of Summer Sun better than the whole..




 raindrops on tulips
 an empty Broad Walk

drooping tulips..


 love the bright pink tulips in front of the alliums, too






 time to visit the Hive and the wildflower meadow, now really abundant

new growth on a large tree just by the Hive





 handkerchief tree
 peonies... more favourites!

 and irises... more raindrops 

 work going on at the rejuvenating family beds that will be called something else...due for completion mid June. Hence them working at 8.30 on a Saturday I guess!

the euphorbia are this side of the barriers obviously
 scilla peruviana  (cuban lily)
I love these.  I seem to be drawn to blues and purples in plants.


 raindrops on peonies...
 love the raspberry-ripple like middle of this peony


 in the rock garden now

 the californian poppies were still tightly closed as there was no sun...
 such a bold yellow on these daisy-like flowers (forgot to snap the label)
 white wisteria
 and a purple one just along the road a way

 the big one by the Hive


walking past the wildflower meadow again,

 still one or two magnolia blooms on a few trees
 walking across the grass,  skyscrapers in the distance
 peeking over the boundary of .....
 the forthcoming children's garden...
 and peeked through a gate...
 headed for the rhododendron dell...
no Kew trains in operation yet so I was safe today!






 I think these are a variety of primula



they were fabulous...
 and prolific!


 I wandered up these steps


 and headed to the lake...

 from the top of the lake I headed for the woodland area and the bluebells...
 I walked round the wooden path, it was so peaceful, I didn't see another soul for ages
 just birds singing

 the bluebells are going over though, and there wasn't much sun to shine on them


 there was a short light shower, but not enough to get me very wet


 back at the Temperate House,  the Cattails and Cooper Birch Reeds



 closeup




cistus, rock rose..  seems early for these, but there seemed to be quite a few so maybe not












 at each of the Chilhuly sculptures, is a Kew employee or student (not sure which)  - to answer people's questions, and more importantly, to stop people getting too close or possibly damaging them (they are mainly in the beds and behind ropes, but accidents to happen)

I was talking to the woman here, about how gorgeous they all are, and how they blend so beautifully with the planting.

(although I have seen some comments on Kew facebook posts about how they don't like the installations and they shouldn't be allowed in the gardens!   takes all sorts I guess) 



 how can you not like this!


 with the King Williams Temple in the background

 I was heading for some breakfast but realised it was 10 soon so would be able to get in the Temperate house, so turned round..
I got to the door as they unlocked and had the place to myself for 5 minutes or so....
 time to climb up for a walk round the top...


no sun shining on the glass today, but still so beautiful

 still no-one down below!






 I went into the central space and looked at the yellow ones


 I love how some are so translucent and others you can hardly see through at all
 went to check on the silver daisy bush... how long can one plant flower???

 tree fern
the blue ones are called Hebron Vessels, happened to notice the sign today! 
gazing up from right underneath
 how many favourite bits of this one sculpture can I have?!

this may be it...

 heading out again, looking through the open door at the end
till I got sidetracked
 walked round the front to head down the steps.

big grey cloud backdrop....


 walked past a huge tree and noticed this in amongst the leaf litter
 lime tower (jelly!)
 into the gallery...

decided I'd take some close ups
 

 some of the pieces on the wall

 the shadow looks like a lady's head and shoulders
 so beautiful....




















three separate bits of twisty twirly glass...from the doorway




 I walked down the main path back to the Victoria gate entrance

the flowers on a huge tree (so tall) caught my eye.   Paulownia... I saw another one later on somewhere else



 camellia

 goose family by the cafe
 looking across the pond with the Broad Walk in the distance
 patterns in the bench

 the sun was coming out now, so time for more tulip pics!

 those alliums again!




 had to go into the waterlily house..

so humid in there, really battle with the misting up

 the sun was trying to encourage the flowers to open...


 sloth is still hanging around, although the coffee mule has gone out in the cacti desert bit

 keeping my eyes peeled for the water dragons, no sign.


pretty purple flowers left on the end of these stems
 forgotten what this is called from last year




 patterns on leaves



 massive curtain of airplants
 huge palm leaves

bright ferns



 these are spreading!
 but the ones above are too far back in the bed to get close too...
round the corner is my normal specimen!

















 this has replaced a pot of orchids that was there last week.

love the hairs on the end of the leaves





the foxgloves inside the door



 there are some different plants in the alpine house.

didn't see the label on this...

hate how yellow confuses my camera's focus mechanism!

(and my eyes when I try on manual macro mode!)

 aquilegia




 iris

 little alliums

 teeny tiny flowers (I know you can't tell the scale but they were little)



outside by the rock garden waterfall



 heading across the grass to the Orangery for coffee and cake!



 after which I went and sat on a bench along the Broad Walk in the sun.... alllium time again!




 across the grass the other side of the Broad Walk
to the formal garden outside Kew Palace...



 time to check on the laburnum arch again...

 it really is stunning
it goes along two sides of the sunken garden




 the back of Kew Palace...

 water drops on alchemilla mollis


 miscanthus seed head..

looks like the dome of a Russian cathedral
 primula in the sun

 heuchera
salvia

 I walked under this large tree canopy...

 will keep an eye on it!


 go away clouds!




 I had to go and find the irises by the Orangery as I had walked the other way after my coffee earlier
 it wasn't a wasted journey




 more salvias

 back down the Broad Walk for another sit in th sun

 had to capture the sun through the tulips


 this lady was painting... no I didn't go and look






 yes, here again
 after I had been through the Palm House I sat outside again



 went round the other side to the rose garden to see how they were doing - budding up nicely!




 there's that other paulownia I mentioned
 maple leaves
 buddleia   - well that's what the label in the ground said.  doesn't look like any buddleia I've seen...



yes, the tulips in the sun again


 love to walk under a huge tree canopy




 before I left I went back to the POW (still no water dragons)

good to see the sun had opened the petals now
they are so bright and cheerful


 as I say, I went round again, but no dragons



thanks again for sticking with me. hope you enjoyed your walk (6 hours again today just about)


5 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Helen, I might have to come back here when I need some colour inspiration. The lilacs, purples and crimsons are wonderful and I also like the combination of the dark pinks against the yellow on the Iris it really pops out. Have a lovely week and thanks for sharing all these beautiful photos with us. Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I thought you might want to know, the water is finally out of the basement, but the walls are still damp. I have bleached everything, and don't seem to have any mold. I'm taking a breather before the next round of flash floods by getting my Chihuly and Helen fix.

I couldn't believe those were the same beds in your opening shot. Incredible how much they seemed to have changed in a week.

The alliums are gorgeous. It's amazing how beautiful they are when they are a member of the garlic family.

I bet you were glad for the early morning after seeing the Broad Walk was virtually empty.

I looked at every photo and everything you wrote. This was ONE impressive entry. My favorites were the photos in the alpine house and the Chihuly close-ups. Thanks for taking me with you. Sorry I'm in catch-up mode at the moment.

Sue said...

Hi Helen, Stunning photos as usual. The Handkerchief Tree made me smile:)

Thanks for sharing. Sue

craftimamma said...

Better lat than never, lol! I'm only 3 weeks behind so quickish comments so I don't waste photo viewing time.

I love those Cuban Lilies too, they are really pretty and the centre of that peonie is stunning. Another favourite in close succession are those lovely fluffy white seed heads in the rock garden. I think I like them better than the flowers.

Working my way through the post I was going to comment as I went along but there are far too many gorgeous flowers I'd be here till next time you go in over a week's time. I was thinking about what you said about some people not liking the Chihuly pieces amongst the flowers and I have to say I agree with regard to some of them. I wouldn't go so far as to say they shouldn't be there as we all have different likes and dislikes but there are some I really don't like, that awful giant 'jelly' thing for a start, lol, but there are others I absolutely love and think they look right at home, lol.

I think my favourite places of all at the moment are the wildflower meadow and the rock garden simply because I love the natural unconstructed look of both areas but so much else to admire throughout. The laburnam arch is quite breathtaking at the moment and the wisteria are still wonderful.

Off to the next week now.

Hugs
Lesley Xx

craftimamma said...

Back again!

I didn't realise I was still a fair way from the end. Those iris are just stunning! Such intricate flowers I always think with their distinctive shape and myriad colours.

Also wanted to say my late Mum in Law had a buddleia as in your pic and she did a bit of layering to get one going for me many years ago. It was well established and a major attraction for bees and other polinators but was too big for us to dig out and move when we did. So sad I had to leave it behind. The buddleia you are probably more familiar with is the one that attracts butterflies. Hugs Lesley Xx