Saturday, March 16, 2019

Kew - a windy Kew!

It was back to catching the bus this week as National Rail are back with their engineering works...  and the weather was forecasting 40-45mph gusts.   So there's only one place to go...

 I was back to being first in the queue now that the Orchid Display has finished and as I waited I watched a family of geese wandering along behind the entrance kiosk.  Couldn't get a good photo though..

the flowers are finally emerging in the Palm House beds


I was also thrilled to see that, despite the near gale force wind, the fountain was back on, for the first time in months!


there were geese sheltering on the path alongside the beds edging the pond, 

 it was easy to see why,  the wind was causing havoc with the fountain - I was getting the spray from the path due to the strength of the wind
 but I am so pleased to see it back on again, long may it stay that way.








I headed for the Princess of Wales glasshouse to see if there was any sign of the Chinese Water Dragons now the orchids have finished


Blossom everywhere!

just inside the POW was a large poster advertising my next delight to come - just love Dale Chihuly's glass work!  

as you can see, it will be on for 6 months!!  

 Some of the larger features from the orchid display are still in situ.



 including the display in the pond, sloth included, although I didn't photograph him today
 the jade vine is in full display too, looking glorious



clerodendum (made sure to photograph the name this week) 

 now that the colourful river has been removed it was easier to see these huge flowers.  No idea what they are though


no sign of water dragons anywhere, and  although the man I've seen feeding them was around, he was busy so couldn't ask him about them

 in the orchid rooms, the flowers were still all in place




 I love these ones,
 and it is good to see there are more to come still!

love this little hairy bud!



 as I walked back down I took a wider pic of the jade vine, dangling down - you have to duck to walk under parts of it
out towards the exit, stopped at my favourite!


 on just one of the flowers (?) I noticed drops -so of course had to take more pics

knelt down outside to get some daffodil centres


 in the alpine house

 one of the waterfalls in the rock garden
 magnolias


 walking back round the Palm House pond,


the wind still sending the spray everywhere
 this tree is one of my favourites in spring, last week it was barely in blossom


today, despite the wind playing havoc with the focus, I got some great pics of the beautiful pink...



 this is one of my fave shots, with the Palm House blurred in the background.




 Luckily I had moved back onto the path, as I noticed another mum and baby group pecking away in the grass.

so cute!


after elevenses (hot chocolate and cake this week) I headed the other way towards the Temperate House area



huge drift of daffodils on a slope
 I love this multi-colour hellebore


 these smelled gorgeous
acacia.  


 headed inside out of the wind






 still looking good
tulip middles fascinate me


 quick look at the silver daisy bush again.

I could still hear the robin singing, but couldn't see it anywhere
 another tub of tulips,  little fly sitting on the top




 just love these purple ones, especially with the petals collapsing



























as I went out of the far end of the Temperate House, I was pleased to see more blossom!  I could also see little birds flying about - blue tits or great tits, not sure which although googling, it doesn't look like either!

it wouldn't sit still for me to go closer
the blossom, though was gorgeous  -   might have got a bit carried away here!






 tearing myself away, past some lichen covered branches








 the water on the lake was certainly not still today!




 the wind has also created a petal carpet on the (very soggy) grass...
 but still plenty on the trees!

 no blue sky to elevate the photos today









whilst I'd been walking towards the magnolias, I had seen a big truck and some work going on, so I retraced my steps
a sign announced it was preparing for the Chihuly exhibition.  Cannot wait!



 quick walk through the Palm House





 bedding outside, told you at the beginning the flowers are starting to come out
the round beds though are full of colour already
 last view of the fountain
arum 

 quick walk through the POW but still no water dragons



 ok, so I lied.   I had to double back this way as I had almost forgotten I was using the bus so needed the Victoria Gate exit!



 still windy!



 still one of my fave views!


in my defence, the flowers on this are so short-lived, I have to make the most of it.



Thanks for coming with me again.


3 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Still playing catch-up. I'm so far behind, I may NEVER catch up.

The first thing I noticed were pops of color in the Palm House beds.

I remember you saying Dale Chihuly was coming to Kew, and now I look forward to seeing the display, too. It's going to be a wonderful six months of Chihuly, I'm sure.

I was glad they didn't have the dragons on display when the orchid show was around. I really worried about them, because, although they are quick, I don't believe they would have been safe with so, so many people visiting.

The rock garden waterfall was beautiful and the magnolias are superb.

I really liked photo 43 because of the daffodils AND what looks like people in the background. Photo 78 with the lake showing how the wind was moving the water, was fabulous, but I also like how it showed that spring was beginning to show signs in that photo, too. I also was fond of photo 100 for the diffused flowers and the Palm house in the background.

Thanks for taking me with you, although I'm very, very late visiting.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Helen, thanks for the visit to mine. I was a bit busy when you posted these so catching up. Beautiful photographs, gorgeous flowers and it's lovely to see the changes that are taking place. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Virginia said...

I'm finding some of the plants currently confusing, I've got daffodils, grape hyacinths and aubretia all flowering at the moment. We did a Chatsworth trip today and there were a few magnolia trees in bud but not flower so hopefully they will be open next time we go.

You look like you had a fabulous time!