Sunday, May 2, 2010

Bank Holiday Saturday - Kew again

I wanted to try and catch the bluebells again this year at Kew and have been keeping an eye on the Kew website (they do a spring bulb/blossom update) to make sure I try and catch the peak! 

The weather forecast for Saturday here in London was poor - but when I woke up it was fine, albeit cloudy - so I took a chance.  My normal quick train route was hampered by engineering works so took longer than normal with a replacement bus for half of the journey to Clapham Junction, but I still managed to get there for the 9.30 opening!!  (I do wake up early,even on my days off...)

So here are some of the best of the pictures I took yesterday (thanks to Jessops for getting them developed and printed/copied to cd early today so I won't miss the footie!!)

These tulips are just inside the entrance.
The lilacs are coming into bloom too.
On my way to the conservation area where the bluebells flourish, I passed this little patch under a tree in the shade, just before the Treetop walkway.

I love this - it's only been open a couple of years, but its blended right in to the scenery.  It's a shame they still haven't got the lift sorted, cos the stairs up to the top (its only 18 metres, but...) are hard going. (could be that I never stop to eat breakfast before going out, so I'm always hungry and low on sugar!)
BUT it is so worth it, on clear days you can see for miles, and the views over Kew are fantastic.
I can play at being artistic, framing my shots with the trees in the foreground!  This is the evolution house (front) and the Temperate House behind. Even yesterday when it was still quite cloudy, the view was good - the range of greens is just stunning!
These Canada geese wanted to come for a look too!
Then it was on to the bluebells!  Kew is trying to encourage the native English species.
I love the walk through the conservation area at this time of year.
Queen Charlotte's Cottage - looks like Hansel and Gretel should be in the garden, doesn't it!  The cottage was given to Queen Charlotte when she married King George III.
I love the acid green of these flowers (I wish  I knew what they are!) against the blue of the bluebells, and the way they leave fallen trees where they lie, for the wildlife.


This one shows the contrast of the colours better.
I only discovered this little pond the last time I visited, I love that about Kew, how you find new things even after you've been going for years!  The refelctions looked good yesterday - the sun had come out by now, and it was a glorious morning - I ended up carrying my coat as well as my camera gear!  (It didn't rain till I was back on the replacement bus on the way home, although I think it's rained ever since...)

The gunnera in the foreground at the waterside will be huge in a few weeks and it will look totally different. I'll have to see if I can find it again.
Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoyed your trip with me!  There won't be any more next week as it's the stamp show at Worthing (i.e. spending more money!!)  See you soon.

2 comments:

Lesley Edmonds said...

Beautiful pics Helen. Our bluebells aren't quite out down here yet - another week or two I think.
Lesley x

unique font said...

hi there! how are you?
warm greeting for your family!

keep up the good work...